• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roger Burdette's new book

50 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, RWB said:

Well....don't make those other books jealous !

:)

LOl....xD...actually, I skimmed the Akers and Bower's books for coins I was looking at at various times when I was buying and also looked at other interesting years (i.e., 1907 HR, 1927-D, 1933, etc.).  But haven't read them cover-to-cover or the main sections dealing with Saints, in their entirety.

In fact, I am finding lots of my old bookmarks in the coinbooks from when I started reading them years ago.  Seems I stopped in Bower's DE book on the Type III Double Eagles in the late-1800's.  I never even made it to the Saints section !! xD  

So at least checking them out lately while I read your book, I found all the bookmarks.  I was wondering where they all went....had like 8-10 of them, and lately couldn't find one at all for your book or my currency books !! xD 

Edited by GoldFinger1969

1 hour ago, RWB said:

Well....don't make those other books jealous !

:)

Roger - I just saw the releas of the fourth edition redbook on Peace dollars. I am very behind in my reading and haven't cracked the third edition. What is the main differences between the third and fourth editions?

thanks

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

Roger - I just saw the releas of the fourth edition redbook on Peace dollars. I am very behind in my reading and haven't cracked the third edition. What is the main differences between the third and fourth editions?

thanks

What years were both books released ?  One thing I would hope to see if I was buying is the newer edition having better/updated pricing estimates for the coins.  I know it's not an exact thing, but if the price has changed alot, if the trend is noticeable in the years since the 3rd Edition, you would hope that the folks who put out the book can give a good price quote.  Should be the publisher's job, not necessarily the editor's/Roger's.

RWB's Saint book has a great price grid going back decades.  Might not be 100% accurate but better than anything I've ever seen.  Useful to see the long-term trend, if not the price for a particular year.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

59 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

What years were both books released ?  One thing I would hope to see if I was buying is the newer edition having better/updated pricing estimates for the coins.  I know it's not an exact thing, but if the price has changed alot, if the trend is noticeable in the years since the 3rd Edition, you would hope that the folks who put out the book can give a good price quote.  Should be the publisher's job, not necessarily the editor's/Roger's.

RWB's Saint book has a great price grid going back decades.  Might not be 100% accurate but better than anything I've ever seen.  Useful to see the long-term trend, if not the price for a particular year.

I imagine some new content and the price/population/price updates.

3rd edition 2016

4th - today - or at least that's when I was notified.

12 minutes ago, Zebo said:

I imagine some new content and the price/population/price updates. 3rd edition 2016 4th - today - or at least that's when I was notified.

Wow, that's a pretty quick update.  I have the Morgan SD (2012) and Double Eagle (2004) Red Books; they didn't get updates that quickly.

4 hours ago, Zebo said:

thanks

Zebo - That's best asked of Whitman. They have a long list of improvements. They also have sold out of the previous editions. Since they sell through volume retailers, a press run can go quickly. There's a new Guide Book edition every year.

Peace dollars are considered a popular subject because many families have a few and are curious about them. I find the new edition rate good for making adjustments, corrections and additions - especially those based on collectors' comments and suggestions. Given the name recognition, I suspect Bowers' Morgan dollar book had a much larger press run than my little book, so they will sell-down until more a needed.

Edited by RWB

10 hours ago, RWB said:

Zebo - That's best asked of Whitman. They have a long list of improvements. They also have sold out of the previous editions. Since they sell through volume retailers, a press run can go quickly. There's a new Guide Book edition every year.

Peace dollars are considered a popular subject because many families have a few and are curious about them. I find the new edition rate good for making adjustments, corrections and additions - especially those based on collectors' comments and suggestions. Given the name recognition, I suspect Bowers' Morgan dollar book had a much larger press run than my little book, so they will sell-down until more a needed.

I briefly skimmed through the third edition and it looks good. It's on my list to read this year. Whitman is offering free shipping for anyone interested in the fourth edition. 

I prefer the Peace obverse to the Morgan. The Morgan is more interesting overall, however - in my opinion.

I suspect Whitman will do a lot of "free shipping" offers. Maybe you could give the 3rd edition a read-through and decide if it suits your needs. Also, if you have suggestions for content changes, send them to me. I keep an open file for future use. Whitman has a page limit, so content has to be juggled to stay within that limit.

The issue of print runs and leftover inventory is precisely why I went with Amazon's Print on Demand for my book. 

There is no inventory, they just print one when someone orders it. I've been lucky enough to sell almost 600 copies - which is many, many more copies than I would have ordered if I did a print run. 

23 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

The issue of print runs and leftover inventory is precisely why I went with Amazon's Print on Demand for my book.

Name of the book, PF ?

53 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

There is no inventory, they just print one when someone orders it. I've been lucky enough to sell almost 600 copies - which is many, many more copies than I would have ordered if I did a print run. 

I bought, read and enjoyed the book - but I am not an Amazon lover (overall - not print on demand).

4 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Zebo, did you get the GIRL SILVER DOLLAR book ?  What about the Saints book (I'm just at page 500 now) ?

Neither of those yet - the book on Saints is high on my list. I just have too many waiting to be read at the moment. I'll probably pick it up sometime this month, however.

3 minutes ago, Zebo said:

Neither of those yet - the book on Saints is high on my list. I just have too many waiting to be read at the moment. I'll probably pick it up sometime this month, however.

Any questions on the Saints book, ask me on the Saints Thread.  Right now I'm knocking off 20-30 pages a day, more on weekends.

1 minute ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Any questions on the Saints book, ask me on the Saints Thread.  Right now I'm knocking off 20-30 pages a day, more on weekends.

(thumbsu

1 hour ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

The Art and Science of Grading Coins

Available on Amazon :)

Now that's a book I can make time for as I can use it.  Thanks PF !

After I buy it, refund me your take so I can apply it to that 2021 purchase of a 1907 High Relief Saint. xD  Hey, every little bit helps......xD