• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spitting Eagle on 1983 P Quarter

6 posts in this topic

I just found this die crack going from the eagles beak down to his chest on one of my 1983 P quarters today.  I read that this is called a spitting eagle which I never heard of this before.  Is this a die crack?  It seems very weak to me.  I just started collecting quarters.  I have been collecting pennies for five years.   Just wondering if this coin is worth keeping?

S20190905_0026.jpg

S20190905_0032.jpg

Welcome to the Forum-

Nice find.

What you have is called a Spitting Eagle but it is caused by a Die Clash of Washington's throat, not a Die Crack.

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

Thanks everyone.  I thought it was so slight that it was probably not worth keeping.  I am now super happy that I didn't just throw it back into the reject pile. I just got two boxes of quarters to try to find the west point quarters and got all old coins mostly.  A couple of weeks ago I found a War in the Pacific west point in circulation and it was still in really good condition.   That was enough to get me trying to find more.  Being in the northeast and in a small CT town makes it hard to find them.   So now I have gotten hooked on quarters.  I collected all the state quarters because my next door neighbor worked at a bank and got me all uncirculated coins each time they came out and that was the extent of my quarter collecting.  Now with the West Point mint quarters it has turned me into a quarter collector.  Thanks again for the info.

54 minutes ago, JRIGWT said:

Thanks everyone.  I thought it was so slight that it was probably not worth keeping.  I am now super happy that I didn't just throw it back into the reject pile. I just got two boxes of quarters to try to find the west point quarters and got all old coins mostly.  A couple of weeks ago I found a War in the Pacific west point in circulation and it was still in really good condition.   That was enough to get me trying to find more.  Being in the northeast and in a small CT town makes it hard to find them.   So now I have gotten hooked on quarters.  I collected all the state quarters because my next door neighbor worked at a bank and got me all uncirculated coins each time they came out and that was the extent of my quarter collecting.  Now with the West Point mint quarters it has turned me into a quarter collector.  Thanks again for the info.

… and with that, the United States Mint Director assumed the sweet smile indicative of a job well done.