• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Registry Annual awards
1 1

42 posts in this topic

• Administrator

***UPDATED!***

Please check out our exciting 2019 results and information! Click here.

General questions? Click here.

Welcome!

The NGC Registry continues to be the best and brightest place to showcase your coins. 2019 brings new award categories and updated prizes totaling more than $20,000 in value! Our winners will be featured in The Numismatist!

We are very excited about the *NEW* release of the NGC Registry! Featuring vivid new graphics, the ability to upload NGC photos to your sets, and so many more new features, we invite you to check it out herehttps://www.ngccoin.com/registry/If you haven't done so already, create your sets today.

Every year, NGC gives awards to the top Competitive Sets and Custom Sets in the NGC Registry. Ensure your set is at its best by 10 a.m. EST on Dec. 6 to be automatically considered for awards. Winners will be announced Jan. 10, 2020. Click here to read morehttps://www.ngccoin.com/news

Please note that your set must be VISIBLE (not "obscured") by July 1, 2019 to be eligible for the 2019 NGC Registry awards. The 2019 deadline to make any changes to your sets will be December 6, 2019. Don't see a slot or a set for a coin of yours? Shoot us an email at registry@ngccoin.com, so we can research where your coin(s) may best fit. Thank you to all of our collectors for participating!

Edited by Ali E.

Every year there's a moratorium period where-in NGC won't change any slot scores leading up to the cut-off. I think it's a month but can't remember for sure and I was wondering when that kicks in and if that applies to new category / set requests as well.

• Administrator
On 8/30/2019 at 6:26 PM, Revenant said:

Every year there's a moratorium period where-in NGC won't change any slot scores leading up to the cut-off. I think it's a month but can't remember for sure and I was wondering when that kicks in and if that applies to new category / set requests as well.

Hello, Revenant.

Thanks for the question. Typically, we stop score updates a month before the cut-off date, unless it is a program error that needs correcting. New set requests are considered on a case by case basis. if you have a request, feel free to send it to us at registry@ngccoin.com. Thanks.

***Update On 10/8/19***

Revenant, we have posted the temporary freeze date here: 

Love the registry and I am excited about the awards this year!  For me, it created a new wrinkle for collecting!  I just hate that I cannot use PCGS coins any longer.  Has made it really tough for me to find the last coin or two for one of my sets. 

On 11/17/2019 at 11:37 AM, erwindoc said:

Love the registry and I am excited about the awards this year!  For me, it created a new wrinkle for collecting!  I just hate that I cannot use PCGS coins any longer.  Has made it really tough for me to find the last coin or two for one of my sets. 

It does add a lot of fun to this when you can share what you enjoy. I wish I had more time (and money) to invest in some of my other sets / projects, but instead my registry participation tends to focus on a couple of prized sets and there is a huge quality gap in the presentation / treatment of some of my sets. Of course, with the Zimbabwe set and the 10G set I have a concept and a story that I want to tell with the set that I put all that work into. With something like the presidential dollars, even if I had the time and energy, I just don't know how I'd give them a similar treatment - but that comes down to passion and inspiration. The Zimbabwe hyperinflation captured my interest and imagination in 2008 in a way that the presidential dollars never did and haven't so far, even though I'm a history buff.

1 hour ago, Filipinas Bullion Collection said:

Can i still add coins to my set before December 6, i tried to add my recent acquisition but it seems it is not working at all today. Thanks

If you're having problems it's probably a short-term issue. Normally we can make changes up to the hour / minute of the cut-off and it works and counts.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Filipinas Bullion Collection said:

Thank you for your prompt reply on this issue. The feature is down and will just wait till it is ok.

Hello.

Thank you for the inquiry. We are having temporary server connectivity issues and hope to have this resolved soon. Thank you for your patience.

On 11/17/2019 at 12:37 PM, erwindoc said:

You can always "cross over" any PCGS coin to NGC so that it will fit the slot. It's not that expensive to do and when you cross over you get a new holder and often a choice of labels.

6 hours ago, RodneytheAmerican said:

You can always "cross over" any PCGS coin to NGC so that it will fit the slot. It's not that expensive to do and when you cross over you get a new holder and often a choice of labels.

Or, you get your coin back in the same holder with the letters "DNC" on it and no explanation...

On 12/7/2019 at 2:06 PM, BlakeEik said:

Or, you get your coin back in the same holder with the letters "DNC" on it and no explanation...

True.  The ones I've tried and failed (and I don't try on all of them) I generally realize either were the recipient of the PCGS 'eye appeal bump' or are just impossible to decide when still in a holder.  A DNC does not necessarily mean the coin is 'bad', just PCGS and NGC look at things a bit differently with different series, and sometimes need more information before allowing a cross.   It would be nice if there was a short checklist that could be ticked to give a reason, but that would add time and cost I suppose.

In any case, one option is to crack it out before sending in, or before sending it as a retry.

When trying to cross my goal is to be realistic regarding a grade minimum, and I frequently drop a point or two in that column of the submission form.  Not always, but many times.  I don't really care if my $200 in 64 becomes a $150 in 63.  That said I do care if my $2000 in 65 becomes $800 in 64, especially if it's a coin I'd like to sell someday, so the grade floor is nice to have.

In the end if it's a coin I want for my 'sets' I'll either buy it in an NGC holder or buy it in another holder (or no holder at all of course) and either crack it out or 'cross at any grade'.

I think this award program is such an incentive and motivator to collect. As I look at the awards and look at the winners of some of the bigger awards, I find that a group of collectors are left out.... the ones that can't buy a $3000 coin just get it in the set. For an example.... "Best In Category" award always seems to go to the ones that can afford the best coins of the set type mentioned, that's fine as that is THE best in category.

I try not to complain much, but I like the one called "Best New Set" as a good start for us who don't have deep pockets. Because of the rules, I think that one should go to those that break 50% every year.... not the year they started. And that is where I'd like to see something added!

Be nice to see another award developed for IMPROVING their collection set because maybe.... just maybe.... they get the "Best in Category" as well because they not only showed improvement, but their collection reached those of that same caliber. Needs a 20% improvement in score for example.

I'm a NOOB when it comes to collecting coins, but I'm a fast learner. I can consider myself an expert on Morgans, Peace and American Silver Eagles. But I'm learning more each day about earlier and today's coins. Such a great art of engraving to learn from.

I know one set I have is eligible for one of the awards, but I know it's a long shot. But knowing that award is available is why I loaded up my almost entire collection. And if I knew that December 6th was the cut-off, I would have worked harder entering my coins.

Having fun collecting and competing is what I like.... so think about what I said about starting another award for "Best in Improvement"  for a set to fire up collectors like myself!! 

Edited by ChrisInJesup

• Administrator
7 hours ago, ChrisInJesup said:

I think this award program is such an incentive and motivator to collect. As I look at the awards and look at the winners of some of the bigger awards, I find that a group of collectors are left out.... the ones that can't buy a $3000 coin just get it in the set. For an example.... "Best In Category" award always seems to go to the ones that can afford the best coins of the set type mentioned, that's fine as that is THE best in category.

I try not to complain much, but I like the one called "Best New Set" as a good start for us who don't have deep pockets. Because of the rules, I think that one should go to those that break 50% every year.... not the year they started. And that is where I'd like to see something added!

Be nice to see another award developed for IMPROVING their collection set because maybe.... just maybe.... they get the "Best in Category" as well because they not only showed improvement, but their collection reached those of that same caliber. Needs a 20% improvement in score for example.

I'm a NOOB when it comes to collecting coins, but I'm a fast learner. I can consider myself an expert on Morgans, Peace and American Silver Eagles. But I'm learning more each day about earlier and today's coins. Such a great art of engraving to learn from.

I know one set I have is eligible for one of the awards, but I know it's a long shot. But knowing that award is available is why I loaded up my almost entire collection. And if I knew that December 6th was the cut-off, I would have worked harder entering my coins.

Having fun collecting and competing is what I like.... so think about what I said about starting another award for "Best in Improvement"  for a set to fire up collectors like myself!! 

Welcome, ChrisinJesup!

We appreciate the feedback, and we will take your comments into consideration for future awards. Please let us know when we may assist next. 

I had another epiphany about what I said earlier. As I was admiring some of the award winner's coins.... it struck me odd WHY would you award the same thing to someone that showed NO IMPROVEMENT in their collection?!? Isn't "improving" one's collection a goal of a Numismatic? I think someone that won the "Best Modern Set" for example.... makes an improvement in their set before receiving that award again. Otherwise, I just buy the "BEST" coins and win! And if that person doesn't improve their set, another set get an OPPORTUNITY to win that prize!!

Just more food for thought!

Edited by ChrisInJesup

8 hours ago, ChrisInJesup said:

I think someone that won the "Best Modern Set" for example.... makes an improvement in their set before receiving that award again. Otherwise, I just buy the "BEST" coins and win! And if that person doesn't improve their set, another set get an OPPORTUNITY to win that prize!!

I'm not aware of any cases where 1 set won the same major award twice and it's rare for a set to win 2 of any kind - I think there have been one or two times where a set got something like "Most Creative" one year and "Most Informative," another year. So I think you're worried about something that doesn't happen anyway.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:27 AM, Revenant said:

I'm not aware of any cases where 1 set won the same major award twice and it's rare for a set to win 2 of any kind - I think there have been one or two times where a set got something like "Most Creative" one year and "Most Informative," another year. So I think you're worried about something that doesn't happen anyway.

Let me give you a couple links to see what I'm saying. I'm only using these links only as an example as I enjoy their viewing their collections.....

Larry Shapiro's Peace Dollar collection won 2015 & 2016 for "Best in Category":

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/182830/

Pam's Peace Date (better known as evilwoman13... congrats for her collection being shown at the 2020 FUN) won 2017 & 2018 of the same:
https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/199268/

There are others sets that have won 4, 5, 6 majors in a row.... and they are on the top with the same type of coins they started in some of those years. 

I'm saying some did improve their set (they deserve the chance win for doing improvements) and some didn't improve it much or none at all..... and they still won.

Again, this is just my 2C of thought!

2 hours ago, ChrisInJesup said:

Larry Shapiro's Peace Dollar collection won 2015 & 2016 for "Best in Category":

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/182830/

Pam's Peace Date (better known as evilwoman13... congrats for her collection being shown at the 2020 FUN) won 2017 & 2018 of the same:
https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/199268/

Those are not major awards. Those are category awards. They get certificates - sometimes just PDF copies of them. Those are given im every category every year. The "major awards" are the ones that get plaques and $500 grading certificates.

Best in Category goes to the highest ranked set in each category every year. That's just how it works.

I don't think its reasonable to penalize someone for not upgrading a set that is winning it's category - assuming you're even able to do so.

9 hours ago, Revenant said:

Those are not major awards. Those are category awards. They get certificates - sometimes just PDF copies of them. Those are given im every category every year. The "major awards" are the ones that get plaques and $500 grading certificates.

Best in Category goes to the highest ranked set in each category every year. That's just how it works.

I don't think its reasonable to penalize someone for not upgrading a set that is winning it's category - assuming you're even able to do so.

That explains it, makes more sense now. I just see that "Best in Category" posted on some of these collections with 5, 10, 12 awards and I wondered. Now I have a better picture.

Question for an Admin:

One of my sets won an award - Best Presented Set, which is pretty awesome!  https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/153285/

What's strange is that this set also lost to two different sets with lower scores.  On the final day, my set had the highest score and consists of only NGC graded coins. 

See the outcome here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive/united-states/type-sets/890/

Can this please be corrected?

Edited by BlakeEik

• Administrator
On 1/11/2020 at 12:05 PM, BlakeEik said:

Question for an Admin:

One of my sets won an award - Best Presented Set, which is pretty awesome!  https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/153285/

What's strange is that this set also lost to two different sets with lower scores.  On the final day, my set had the highest score and consists of only NGC graded coins. 

See the outcome here:

Hello, BlakeEik, and congratulations!

We are looking into the score situation for the 20th Century Series Type Set, Proofs Only - No Gold as of Dec. 6th at 10 am EST. We will let you know when we hear back a response from the programming team. Thanks for letting us know.

On 1/11/2020 at 12:05 PM, BlakeEik said:

Question for an Admin:

See the outcome here:

Any movement here?  The longer the wait, I'm afraid NGC is going to be too reluctant to remove the best-in-category awards from the other sets that should have never won in the first place.

16 minutes ago, BlakeEik said:

Any movement here?  The longer the wait, I'm afraid NGC is going to be too reluctant to remove the best-in-category awards from the other sets that should have never won in the first place.

If you're right I'm sure they'll fix it. This isn't the first time this has happened. It probably won't the the last. They fix it - but they're going to do their due diligence and make sure it is actually a mistake and fix the bug - exactly what you'd want, no?

@Revenant ...nothing less!

I hope you're right, but I'm not so sure. If it's an IT issue, it's very possible they will not fix it even if they know its the right thing to do. NGC does not seem to be in command of their own IT...at least for now.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, BlakeEik said:

@Revenant ...nothing less!

I hope you're right, but I'm not so sure. If it's an IT issue, it's very possible they will not fix it even if they know its the right thing to do. NGC does not seem to be in command of their own IT...at least for now.

Hello, BlakeEik.

Our programmers are aware of this and are working on a response as soon as possible. You obscured this set briefly in November, which automatically disqualified it from awards. Since you notified us immediately that this was an error on your part, we are making an exception. It takes time for our programmers to work around the obscure rule to get you qualified for first. Thank you for your patience.

Edited by Ali E.

BlakeEik,

There were a few award anomalies in some of the sets I compete in. The sets have since been corrected with no requests to do so, at least from me. It looks like NGC is working through the registry and correcting any errors, give it time.

Mike,

7 hours ago, Ali E. said:

You obscured this set briefly in November, which automatically disqualified it from awards. Since you notified us immediately that this was an error on your part, we are making an exception. 

Were it me, Blake, I'd be very patient and very grateful and the words, "Thank you so much," would need to be used more than once.

@Ali E.Thank you Ali, the results made it appear as though my request was forgotten or disregarded. I do appreciate your help. And Thanks for the feedback, @Fenntucky Mike

@RevenantYes, you are correct (and thanks for the lecture :wink:), I have been very grateful ever since - I explained what happened in this thread.

It suggests that any option that could be accidentally changed and would have catastrophic repercussions should first have something similar to a confirmation dialog box. I do not think that is much to ask on behalf of everyone that edits their set introduction.