• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

so what's the deal with this penny?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Chat Box

Nice Find, it's a planchet error called a delamination. The planchet had a lamination that appears to have fallen off before the coin was struck. There would be a premium but I'm not sure how much.

Nice photos by the way.

Edited by Greenstang

5 hours ago, Patchedwoodworks said:

Thanks for everything I was wondering how this happened. Where could I look to try go find a value??? 

Cart, horse, you know the saying. Value is not always the point, or is it for you?

26 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Cart, horse, you know the saying. Value is not always the point, or is it for you?

But it was certainly an important aspect when you scored big on your Bar Cent, Right?

Where could I look to try go find a value??? 

There is not a lot of value in them unless they are extreme. You have to find someone that collects them first. I would say that it is worth around $3.00 but I could be off as I don't collect error coins.

3 hours ago, Mokiechan said:

But it was certainly an important aspect when you scored big on your Bar Cent, Right?

No, not at all. I virtually NEVER sell ANY coin. VERY few exceptions.

1 hour ago, Patchedwoodworks said:

I don’t think anyone of us would be collecting things if they didn’t have some  degree of value to them

You might think so, but all the evidence is to the contrary.

There is a saying where I com from. There is people for everything, in this case meaning, some one will like it and if they like it enough they will pay what they will. Think about the Pet rock. :roflmao:. Perhaps you can fetch 10 bucks on ebay, and maybe 100 years from now, could fetch 50 who knows. That is my Two cents. : D

4 minutes ago, Dukemnm said:

There is a saying where I com from. There is people for everything, in this case meaning, some one will like it and if they like it enough they will pay what they will. Think about the Pet rock. :roflmao:. Perhaps you can fetch 10 bucks on ebay, and maybe 100 years from now, could fetch 50 who knows. That is my Two cents. : D

I'd be EXTREMELY fortunate to have 10 years LEFT! I've got no "eventually".

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

You might think so, but all the evidence is to the contrary.

You're super pretentious for no real reason.  You obviously like starting arguments on here, but I'm not going to bite.  I collect and go through coins for fun and to collect but also to  see if I find anything of value.  I have no clue what "evidence" you would be referring to, but going by the shear amount of coins for sale on eBay I would have to beg to differ. 

14 hours ago, Patchedwoodworks said:

Thanks for everything I was wondering how this happened. Where could I look to try go find a value??? 

@Patchedwoodworks The best place to find values for errors is EBay. I hate eBay but use it for this purpose only. You look at past auctions and only look up similar errors and then gauge the value from what others like it have sold for. I would say that Greenstang's estimate is about right with it being a WheatBack.  To find out about Lamination Errors and any other known errors I suggest looking at error-ref.com . It can be confusing at first but once you figure out how to navigate the site it will be an invaluable resource to any error hunter. Happy Hunting!

2 hours ago, Patchedwoodworks said:

You're super pretentious for no real reason.  You obviously like starting arguments on here, but I'm not going to bite.  I collect and go through coins for fun and to collect but also to  see if I find anything of value.  I have no clue what "evidence" you would be referring to, but going by the shear amount of coins for sale on eBay I would have to beg to differ. 

I have never "gone through coins" (I believe I know what you mean, but trust me, I never did it.) I always was drawn to superior coins, even at 8 years old. My very FIRST coins in my collection were a 1963 proof set, which I still have. The evidence I'm talking about is seemingly every other new collector being consumed by supposed errors and varieties that are actually neither one, and they have virtually no value, nor are they desired items in the bulk of the hobby. I'm truly sorry if that sounds harsh, but it also happens to be true.

Edited by VKurtB