• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

43 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Matt_dac said:

The only way to legitimize a coin for widespread potential sale is to get it professionally graded.  Submit your coin to NGC or PCGS if you're confident it's real. 

I agree, this going back and forth is not going to solve anything. Why not submit and get it legitimized. I would 

On 12/19/2019 at 11:57 PM, Sachin singh said:

Thanks for your suggestion and support

Hey man, we came from a place named India, India gets freedom in 1947 . So a coin of 1777 that i inspect from a Goldsmith that it is a gold coin and you all people are saying that it is a game play coin or it is a bronze coin. What you people want that i should go and clean this coin and then it will shine like a gold coin. And the most interesting fact is that we never travels too much and this coin was here from starting and the Britishes came in 1700's and we never go to Britain. And India was a, is a cultural country not a game play coin country.

Yes i will send it to you

You're welcome for the suggestions, but if you keep believing that this is a coin or has value, you are going to waste a lot of money. Please take a look at the other time an object like yours came up; I provided the link.

It is not gold; gold does not wear like that as it is far too soft.

It is also not from 1777; the date is either a fantasy or intended to have some historical reference as the obverse is an extremely crude copy of Marianne from late 20th century French coinange, see https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2.html for an example.

It is definitely meant to look French. While I was looking at the reverse having something in common with older Germanic tokens, I do not think this is accurate as it's not a good fit otherwise, and similar ships show up in some French tokens.

I understand the thrill of finding something that seems really rare or unusual; however, the people on this forum are experienced and they're all saying basically the same thing. You need to carefully consider that before you waste money having this authenticated. That being said, I and some others like trying to figure out puzzles about where something came from. I've given you everything I've found to date and wish you luck if that's your path forward.

On 11/10/2019 at 11:32 AM, kbbpll said:

Zooming in on the reverse it almost looks like the design was soldered on there. What an odd looking thing, whatever it is.

Boat.jpg

I had also this coin

On 11/10/2019 at 4:05 AM, Just Bob said:

That is the problem. It is not a coin, so it is not listed in any of the common references.

Compare your piece to other gold coins. Yours does not have an issuing government, or denomination, or name of the person being pictured, or any other feature normally found on a legitimate coin, aside from a date which may or may  not be the actual date of issue, (and, my money is on it not being the actual date.)

If you really believe it is gold, take it to a jewelry store and have it tested. Heck, take it to four or five jewelry stores. Get all of them to test it

If it is gold, sell it. If it is not, then use it to level your refrigerator or stop your table from wobbling.

I had a coin like this What should I do

On 12/20/2019 at 7:48 PM, Matt_dac said:

The only way to legitimize a coin for widespread potential sale is to get it professionally graded.  Submit your coin to NGC or PCGS if you're confident it's real. 

I had also one coin what should I do

On 8/2/2020 at 5:00 PM, Prasad r said:

I had also this type of coin . What should I do with that ? Can I sell that one ?

Sure you can sell it if you can find someone willing to buy it.  But it is still just a brass counter of some kind, not a coin.