• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 dime possibly a D mint error
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Idk, is this some kind of error or possibly die chip.  does look like they tried putting a mint mark  there but went to far over. Hmmmm. 

20190825_141014.jpg

20190825_141120.jpg

5 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Not an error or a die chip. It is PMD caused by a hit.

If it was a misplaced MM, it would be raised, not incuse.

Thanks Greenstang, I figured it would have to be raised. But wasn't sure. 

4 hours ago, Greenstang said:

No problem asking if your not sure. You have learned something so you won't have to ask next time this comes up.

Where would such a mint mark even come from, given that NO 1966 dimes had any mintmarks at all?

2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Where would such a mint mark even come from, given that NO 1966 dimes had any mintmarks at all?

That's true, but I still scan the 65s 66s and 67s for any mintmarks. Hey, you never know lol. Anything is possible. It takes me along time to scan through 25 dollars of coins. Pretty much looking for  anything and everything. 😁🧐

14 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

Hey, you never know lol. Anything is possible.

No. I disagree here. It is this kind of "magical thinking" that leads many collectors astray into Fantasyland. There's one in Anaheim, another near Orlando, but that's about it in this country.