• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 Steel Lincoln, PMD or weak strike?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Error-ref.com is a great site to study. There is a LOT of information. 

I'm glad you found the articles helpful. Has a lot of info I keep forgetting. Lol!

http://www.error-ref.com/weak_strikesinsufficientrampressure/

https://www.error-ref.com/struck-through-smooth-viscous-material-grease-oil/

1 hour ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Error-ref.com is a great site to study. There is a LOT of information. 

I'm glad you found the articles helpful. Has a lot of info I keep forgetting. Lol!

http://www.error-ref.com/weak_strikesinsufficientrampressure/

https://www.error-ref.com/struck-through-smooth-viscous-material-grease-oil/

Thank you Karen, That clears up my confusion. So My 1984 p Dime, is just a worn out die perhaps?

2 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

Thank you Karen, That clears up my confusion. So My 1984 p Dime, is just a worn out die perhaps?

Well, I'm not seeing your 84 Dime but there are a lot of older dimes that suffer from a worn die. They kinda get an almost mushy look to them. Not the crisp and clean strikes of a 2019. Dimes are also notorious for both being Off Center and being stamped with a MAD or Misaligned Die. You'll find that you'll see breaks and chips in all the same places also. Do you roll hunt or just looking at your change?

Here is a link to the 1984 P dime thread. 

25 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Do you roll hunt or just looking at your change?

I do both actually, I mostly look at my change. The 1972 DD Penny I have, I found in my change. 

I'll get a box once a month. and how through a few rolls once in a while. I am actually surprised how much Canadian coins I find or from the bahamas. 

I might buy a mint set or two for my collection when the price is right. 

I found the 1971 6FS in a mint set, and I actually have more of the 1971s which were cheap, and found another 1971 6FS at a higher grade. I just have to sent it in. I typically don't buy more than one set. Just what I need to add to the album. 

7 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

Here is a link to the 1984 P dime thread. 

I do both actually, I mostly look at my change. The 1972 DD Penny I have, I found in my change. 

I'll get a box once a month. and how through a few rolls once in a while. I am actually surprised how much Canadian coins I find or from the bahamas. 

I might buy a mint set or two for my collection when the price is right. 

I found the 1971 6FS in a mint set, and I actually have more of the 1971s which were cheap, and found another 1971 6FS at a higher grade. I just have to sent it in. I typically don't buy more than one set. Just what I need to add to the album. 

Ok. Did you know that Canada now longer makes a Penny?  Makes them worth keeping, imo.  Idk how long you've been looking at coins, but Chuck Daugherty gave me a great tip and it truley does put everything into a different perspective. .

He recommended that if I must go through my pocket change that I hold off until I have a bunch, preferably a whole roll, of coins in the same denomination, the same year, and the same Mint facility.  Maybe it takes too long to amass a roll so you might set it at half a roll. Anyway the idea is that you will be looking at coins that should look pretty much the same, for the most part, and so when you get used to seeing like the way the U and the R kind of squish up on the Olive Branch on certain years and Mints, when you pull one from the roll that the U and R DONT squish up on it you'll notice that right away. See what I'm saying? If you look at a bunch from the same date, mint, etc one after the other then when something is different it will jump out at you. And while you're waiting to fill your rolls you can be looking through whatever boxes of rolls you are buying.  

So that's all I got for ya, dude. I hope you will at least give it a try and that the idea works for you as he says it does for so many others. 

10 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Did you know that Canada now longer makes a Penny? 

I did not know that. Thank you for that info. Makes me want to learn more about them now lol

Interesting tip and it makes sense. I typically look at them just to see if I find the new interesting ones and the rest I throw in a box. Once the box is full and I need to cash it out. I go through it one more time. But it makes total sense to save by year and mint location. I will resist the urge to look at my change until the box is full. Thank you for the tip. 

2 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

I did not know that. Thank you for that info. Makes me want to learn more about them now lol

Interesting tip and it makes sense. I typically look at them just to see if I find the new interesting ones and the rest I throw in a box. Once the box is full and I need to cash it out. I go through it one more time. But it makes total sense to save by year and mint location. I will resist the urge to look at my change until the box is full. Thank you for the tip. 

You're welcome. I'm glad to help when I feel like I can.