• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Submission Questions

13 posts in this topic

OK, I got my packet in the mail yesterday from NGC, and I'm ready for my first submission. I have a couple of questions that you have all probably been asked before, but here goes:

1. What's the best way to send 5 coins? I will put them all in flips and rubberband them together, but should I put anything between the coins? Do people use padded envelopes, boxes, other? I would hate to have the coins damaged in transit.

2. Is the $3 registry imaging fee worth it?

3. Should I send them registered mail with insurance, or registered mail without insurance?

4. Same question as #3 for return shipment from NGC?

5. When they ask for the value of the coin, do you estimate the price a dealer would pay you for them (I sure wouldn't put retail)?

6. Do you burn incense while they are at NGC to get a better grade?

If you have any other advice, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

OK, I got my packet in the mail yesterday from NGC, and I'm ready for my first submission. I have a couple of questions that you have all probably been asked before, but here goes:

1. What's the best way to send 5 coins? I will put them all in flips and rubberband them together, but should I put anything between the coins? Do people use padded envelopes, boxes, other? I would hate to have the coins damaged in transit.

I can't answer this for you because I hand-deliver mine. However, the corrugated, self-sealing mailers that are available from Amos Advantage or JP's Corner are easily placed in a padded envelope. As a rule, I save the shipping boxes I get from the Mint because they come in handy.

I think this is a personal preference, but for me, I always get the imaging for my records.

3. Should I send them registered mail with insurance, or registered mail without insurance?

Always buy the insurance.

Follow the instructions on the back of the "Submitter Copy" (last page of Submission Form).

5. When they ask for the value of the coin, do you estimate the price a dealer would pay you for them (I sure wouldn't put retail)?

Why wouldn't you want to insure for retail? If the coins were lost in transit, do you think you would be able to replace them at a dealer's cost?

6. Do you burn in incense while they are at NGC to get a better grade?

No, but I do drink a lot of beer!

If you have any other advice, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

Chris

I am with you Chris on the beer!! Waiting these days for NGC requires a lot of drinking "PATIENCE".

Seriously-----If the coins are worth 300 or more apiece, do you really want to eat 1500 plus if you do not insure them?? If it is worth 30 plus bucks apiece to get the holder, it sure is worth 15plus 15 to make sure that you have security getting them there and getting them back. And I know what is going on at the post offices these days----pay for the insurance.

Chris is right on all the other stuff too. Bob [supertooth]

Here are my thoughts-

1) I like to put each coin in a soft, glycine polybag and fold it over so that it is snug and the coin cannot shift. The polybag then gets put into the larger 2x2 (or 2.5x2.5) flip. This keeps the coins safe.

2) I would not pay $3 to have them image the coin as some of the images I have seen do not look like they are worth $3.

3) Registered Mail is insured immediately when you declare a value on the package, you do not buy extra insurance for this service.

4) Have them shipped back to you the same way.

5) I estimate a wildly optimistic and enthusiastic number for insurance purposes.

6) I listen to Phish.

3) Registered Mail is insured immediately when you declare a value on the package, you do not buy extra insurance for this service.

Actually, there are two boxes to check on the form: one for insurance and one without insurance. The free insurance is only up to $500. Above that you need to pay for more, but it is cheap.

5) I estimate a wildly optimistic and enthusiastic number for insurance purposes.

If lost, they're not going to pay out on those wild numbers unless your coin got a wild grade or if lost on the way there, you can prove it was worth that price.

6) I listen to Phish.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Right when my invoice moves to the Grading stage, I have female friends call up the graders and say sexy subliminal messages: "Oh baby, you're as sexy as an 1671 Italian Ducato in MS63". Next thing you know, my 1671 Italian Ducato is graded MS63. Works like a charm...except that time I had an invoice of Ikes...

Right when my invoice moves to the Grading stage, I have female friends call up the graders and say sexy subliminal messages: "Oh baby, you're as sexy as an 1671 Italian Ducato in MS63". Next thing you know, my 1671 Italian Ducato is graded MS63. Works like a charm...except that time I had an invoice of Ikes...

I've found it helpful if the friends have accents. Swedish or anything vaguely Nordic seems to work best. thumbsup2.gif

AlixTCat,

I got the coupon along with a folder of information about 2 weeks after joining the collector's society.

I submitted my coins yesterday. I am drinking a beer right now, and some incense is burning next to my PC as a ritual offering to NGC.

I decided to pay $15 to have all 5 coins photographed. I guess there's only one real way to decide personally if they are worth it.

I'll keep you posted.

Put them each in poly bags and then into the flips. Box them and wrap in the reinforced packaging tape, the tape you have to cut and wet.

No.

Registered with insurance.

Yes, same.

Estimate the retail price.

6. Do you burn in incense while they are at NGC to get a better grade?

Just pray to your God.

Write on the outside of the package which grading level you are submitting.

Our branch Post Office is a huge mess with lines (40) people long. I always just run out to the FEDEX office at the local Airport (there are never any other customers there) and send the coins for second-day delivery. I can track them on-line, know when they arrive and who signs for them

Is there a way on NGC's website to track your order? I am sure I could hunt around and find it for myself, but thought you all could talk about how you track your coins through return delivery.

Thx.

Yes, if you are a Collector's Society member. Login to your account and under Coins select Order Status and it will let you know where in the grading process your coins are.

Here are my thoughts-

1) I like to put each coin in a soft, glycine polybag and fold it over so that it is snug and the coin cannot shift. The polybag then gets put into the larger 2x2 (or 2.5x2.5) flip. This keeps the coins safe.

2) I would not pay $3 to have them image the coin as some of the images I have seen do not look like they are worth $3.

4) Have them shipped back to you the same way.

6) I listen to Phish.

I thought the coins HAD to be submitted in a flip. You can submit them in a 2x2? Oh, I see, you did say flip.

What is a "glycine polybag?" I assume you meant "glycerine?" Where might I find them? I looked, but could not find them. I could find polybags though.

I am about ready to submit my first 5 coins. Any input on this method would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan