• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goverment Packaging or just the coins
1 1

4 posts in this topic

First let me say,I am new to collecting and getting coins graded. I see where NGC is going to do a special label and designation exclusively for 2019 Apollo 11-themed coins received during the anniversary of the historic moon mission.
I Had bought the Silver and clad coins, and now am wondering should I get them certified? and if so should I sent the Government packages or Just the coins?

Thanks for your help

First off Joseph, hello and welcome to the forum!

Now, onto the grading question.  Well, that depends on what you want out of your coins.  If you want to put them on the NGC Registry, then you'll definitely need to have them graded.  Also, if you simply desire to have them graded for your own reasons regardless of cost and potential return on the costs of grading, then you should do so.  However, from a strictly financial point of view, it's important to consider that most graded modern US coins since 1999 are only worth a large premium over raw coins of the same type if they grade a perfect PF/MS 70 grade.  PF/MS 69 US coins from this time period often trade for very small premiums over raw examples, so you'd never get your grading fees back out of the coins.  So, if profit is what you're looking for, you have to decide if you want to roll the dice.  And, before you ask, I do not know how to tell the difference between a 69 and 70 grade.  I doubt anyone on here does unless they are currently and NGC grader or if they were one formerly.  

So, should you get your coins graded?  If you want them graded for your own reasons, then yes.  But do they absolutely need to be graded?  I would say no.  But it's up to you.

I hope that this was of some help

~Tom 

Thanks Mohawk,  My collection is mostly modern US coins from 1958 to 1999. I Just saw they we offering this and thought it MIGHT be neat when my grand kids end up with what I have.  Was not even sure how to ship them into NGC.

Hi Joseph,

Well, if you're still interested in submitting the coins, here are some instructions from our hosts on how to do so:

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit-coins/how-to-submit.aspx

Shipping your coins is pretty easy.  I sell modern US coins to fund my own collecting ventures, which are mostly ancient coins now.  I always ship using USPS Priority Mail Insured and I've never had a problem. And, yes, for a modern collector, it IS a neat label.  I'd say if the label adds to the cool factor of your coins for you, go for it!

~Tom