• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan Toning types

20 posts in this topic

That is a great set.

I like Capital holders. I guess the white background is the reason I like the NGC slabs over the PCGS slabs.

A great set of coins and a great way to display them.

-------------

etexmike

Hi folks, someone pointed this thread out to me. Thanks for the good words.

I put this set together for a special little girl in my life that loves these toned Morgans.

Prooflike asked me if it's was alright to display this on his website, and I was flattered. All these Morgans with the exception of one were cracked out of various holders to display in this Capital Plastics holder. Not the greatest images but they worked OK. I also picked a couple "unusual" pieces to go in this display.

In person, this set is quite pleasing to the eye.

Hi folks, someone pointed this thread out to me. Thanks for the good words.

I put this set together for a special little girl in my life that loves these toned Morgans.

Prooflike asked me if it's was alright to display this on his website, and I was flattered. All these Morgans with the exception of one were cracked out of various holders to display in this Capital Plastics holder. Not the greatest images but they worked OK. I also picked a couple "unusual" pieces to go in this display.

In person, this set is quite pleasing to the eye.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Chris

Was the Capital Holder specially made? How much would a comparable set cost to assemble in today's market? Thanks.

Was the Capital Holder specially made? How much would a comparable set cost to assemble in today's market? Thanks.

I believe yes, the holders were custom made. I paid a fair amount just for the "Holder" but it was an EMPTY holder wink.gif

I guess it all depends what it would cost to fill a board such as this. I didn't find the nicest color coins out there, but just what I thought were decent. I believe they were all 64-65 range, I think the textile was in a 64* holder. The "target" toned one is really an exceptional coin with blazing luster. Tough to find those with nice target tone IMO.

Stman,

Do you have images of the reverse?

And c. value of a comparable set?? confused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gifThanks again!

Sorry, I don't have images of the reverse in the holder. Many are white, which is normal for the bag toners. As far as value for a comparable set? I just can't answer that with any accuracy. And I never state values of any coins I own.

I have this set put away for that special little girl in my life with a note attached that it's hers when I take the "Big dirt nap." I was at my safe box recently and took a peak at this set, just by coincidence that this thread appears. cool.gif

Well, it was a great education for me! Thanks to you and prooflike for providing the images.

My pleasure and thanks for the interest. Here is a large image of the "Mint Bag" Morgan. I picked this one as it's a bit unusual. It's what some folks call a shift coin. First a crescent was formed by another coin partially sitting on it, then the coin perhaps got moved around in the bag when it shifted. Once this happened,

another coin (or perhaps the same one) partially laid in a different area forming another crescent... Hence, the term "shift coin." Hopefully I was able to relay in

writing what I was trying to explain. I'm not the best at this. screwy.gif

The Monochromatic, Polychromatic, Rainbow, and Textile, all are mint bag toned as well.

Just different patterns is all.

1887_bag_shift_toned_Morgan.jpg

I believe yes, the holders were custom made. I paid a fair amount just for the "Holder" but it was an EMPTY holder wink.gif

Do you recall how much it cost to have the Capital Holder custom-made? How long did it take you to get it? I'm asking because I have some coin sets that I would like to put in a similar holder.

Chris

Hopefully I was able to relay in

writing what I was trying to explain. I'm not the best at this. screwy.gif

1887_bag_shift_toned_Morgan.jpg

No, no, Stman, you were perfectly clear. I was with ya all the way...

Hey Boardsters, what the heck was this guy saying, anyway??? confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif J/K, you were very clear.

Do you recall how much it cost to have the Capital Holder custom-made? How long did it take you to get it?

I bought the holder from a member Gsaguy, and actually worked a deal on a few of the coins that went into it later on. Coincidence huh? smirk.gif

He had two different kinds with different writing on them. I think the one that wasn't Capital Plastics was the cheaper one. I bought the Capital Plastics one with the nicer writing (and a bit more money.) I think he had them custom made.

So basically I can't answer your question. 27_laughing.gif Sorry.