• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd Indian Head Penny Question

5 posts in this topic

I found this 1859 Indian cent in a coin roll a couple of years ago.   It's very thick (see edge image below) and just barely bigger in diameter than a normal Indian cent.   It's almost as though it were struck on a nickel but that could just be wishful thinking.   What do you guys think?  I know its pretty beat up and i'm not expecting any great value,  it's just been a curiosity in my collection that I'd like to figure out.

BothCompare2.jpg

pic2.JPG

pic3.JPG

I just realized, after comparing this penny with my 1857 Flying eagle cent, that they are on the same planchet.   This may be normal since they are only two years apart.   I'm guessing.

36 minutes ago, Eric119 said:

I just realized, after comparing this penny with my 1857 Flying eagle cent, that they are on the same planchet.   This may be normal since they are only two years apart.   I'm guessing.

The 1859-64 IHP had a different composition from later cents. They went from a sort of brass to a bronze. Weight also dropped notably. And yes, the planchet composition and weight for the 59-64s was the same as it had been for the FEC.

I agree with Jonathan on all points.  Also, your coin is heavily damaged.  The flattening of parts of the coin are likely what is responsible for the difference in diameter you are seeing.

From 1857 to mid 1864 one cent pieces were made of 88% copper 12% nickel and they were on thicker planchets that weighed 72 grains compared to the 48 grain Bronze planchets that came 1864 and later.