• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a 1982 copper small date. And 16 large dates all copper

14 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Juwanplay said:

IMG_20190626_112006.jpg

Unfortunately, the coin pictured is a Large Date, so the composition doesn't matter....it's a common coin in both compositions.  Here's our host's Variety Plus page on the 1982-D Small Date, so you can see the difference:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/cents/lincoln-cents-memorial-reverse-1959-2008/13039/

To Tiffany: the coin pictured in the link is a Small Date/  The coin pictured in the thread is a Large Date.  There are also Large Date pictures on Variety Plus

I hope this helps both of you!

~Tom

Its really is in the 2 .and the 9 in the large date sits so so slightly above the the 8.you will know when you see the small date.and weigh them.there my small date is on the top the rest I think are all large but all 3.1

IMG_20190626_111645.jpg

5 minutes ago, Juwanplay said:

Its really is in the 2 .and the 9 in the large date sits so so slightly above the the 8.you will know when you see the small date.and weigh them.there my small date is on the top the rest I think are all large but all 3.1

IMG_20190626_111645.jpg

Sorry.....still not seeing a Small Date in any of your coins.  All of the 1982's appear to be Large Dates.

I agree with Mohawk. Don't see a Small Date anywhere on this thread.

If you think you have a small date anywhere among those coins, please take a separate photo an post it

19 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Sorry.....still not seeing a Small Date in any of your coins.  All of the 1982's appear to be Large Dates.

Ditto.  The '2' is such a delicate and sharp little guy on the Small Date.  Once you can pick up on it you'll barely take more than the initial view to make the determination.  Here's a good comparison shot.

The '2' in the Large Date variety just looks chunky and sloppy by comparison.

s-l640.jpg

2 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Ditto.  The '2' is such a delicate and sharp little guy on the Small Date.  Once you can pick up on it you'll barely take more than the initial view to make the determination.  Here's a good comparison shot.

Thank you CRAWTOMATIC for that, I have been trying to figure it out myself. :D 

2 hours ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

s-l640.jpg

Craw....that is one of the best ways to describe the differences between the types I've ever heard!  The 2 is what I used to begin being able to tell the two types apart (I've looked at so many now that I can tell them apart at a glance now).  Thanks for sharing that, I think it's going to help a lot of people on here.

Hi Cvaughan,

First off, welcome to the forum.  The first thing I would recommend is posting photos of your cent so that we can see the coin in question.  It'll be easier to go from there.

Well...it's definitely a 1982-D Small Date Cent.  What I would do is make sure that you reweigh it a few times just to make sure that it keeps coming up 3.1 grams because scales can be inaccurate at times and you definitely want to rule out that possibility because you wouldn't want to spend the money to grade a circulated 1982-D Zinc Small Date Cent.  You're going to need to get the coin certified by NGC as the 1982-D Copper Small Date as well for the authentication factor so that no one doubts the coin as the copper version is a rare error and the zinc version is worth face value. 

Edited by Mohawk