• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Book price guide & seated quarter key dates

7 posts in this topic

I am working on completing the seated quarter set. Why is it that the very low mintage quarters (12,000-15,000) only list for $150 in G4 condition? For example, 1879-1883. These are very rare coins and obviously would never be that cheap. They go for hundreds of dollars more on ebay in good condition. Why is it that this book is so misleading on these very low mintage seated quarters? Its hard for me to know what is a reasonable price when buying the key dates. 

The red book has always been a good source of information: mintage figures, specifications, Etc. It has never been a good source for prices. That is why I always tell new collectors to buy a red book, but disregard the prices.

As far as finding reasonable prices, the best way is to look at what people are actually paying for coins. Auction prices realized is your best source.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

While the Red Book values may be a bit low, the quarters and halves of 1879-90 are not as rare as their mintages would suggest. Collectors of the time were aware of these low figures and hoarded those dates in Mint State and Proof. This has put an unnaturally low cap on the values of circulated pieces, which are actually harder to find than unworn examples.

Bob, 

One great source for FMV is Worthpoint, of course you pay a fee, but it has always helped me.

Travis

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

The red book has always been a good source of information: mintage figures, specifications, Etc. It has never been a good source for prices. That is why I always tell new collectors to buy a red book, but disregard the prices.

As far as finding reasonable prices, the best way is to look at what people are actually paying for coins. Auction prices realized is your best source.

It may list them at $150 in G-4 but you would be hard pressed to find one grading that low.  As David said these were saved heavialy at the time of issue, nostly the proof ones, and you seldom see these less than XF.  Add to that the fact that seated quarters are NOT widely collected by date and mint, and you find that the available supply is almost great enough to satis  And when supply satisfies all the demand prices stay low even if the item is "rare".