• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 D Roosevelt dime

5 posts in this topic

Is the coloring on this dime just environmental damage ? I’m down to one eye for now do to an accident so I’m having a lot of trouble trying to see what’s going on. Also, I apologize in advance for any photos that are bad, having trouble with them to! Lol

As always thank you for your time and input!

>Tracy 

E669E23A-2014-460B-B038-36D27C7D516D.jpeg

68179F19-EFAD-473C-BD8C-F187BED0ADA2.jpeg

Hi Tracy,

You have this one just right.....the coloration is in fact environmental damage.  You see this thing a lot on US nickels and clad coins.....the nickel in the alloys of those coins is some pretty tough stuff but the copper is a whole different story.....it's very delicate and reactive.  And, most importantly, I'm sorry to hear about your eye! I had a pretty significant eye injury about 16 years ago and it was awful.  I hope you heal up soon!

~Tom

I think it's environmental, but it's kind of a weird color. I'm trying to think of a combination of copper and nickel salts that would produce that yellowish color, but am not familiar enough. Nickel nitrate is green, for example, but I can't remember about copper nitrate (which I assume exists in some proportion).

57 minutes ago, JKK said:

I think it's environmental, but it's kind of a weird color. I'm trying to think of a combination of copper and nickel salts that would produce that yellowish color, but am not familiar enough. Nickel nitrate is green, for example, but I can't remember about copper nitrate (which I assume exists in some proportion).

That yellowish color is what made me send it in because I had not seen it on any coins of mine , but of course I’m a newbie so! Lol. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

>Tracy 

In general (I'm sure there are a few exceptions such as an off metal error, or contaminated plating solution on copper plated zinc cents)  any off color on a coin is due to environmental reasons.