• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1899 China pei yang 25th year of khuang Hsu

19 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.

I am no expert on 19th and early 20th century Chinese coinage, but those all look fake to me.

Hello and Welcome!

Sadly, I'm with Bob here as well.....all of those coins look fake to me as well.  As they are fakes, they would not be eligible for certification.

Sorry the news wasn't better.

~Tom

I suggest you run a magnet over them for starters. If it's a rare earth magnet, be braced for them to fly across six inches of air to slam into your hand holding the magnet. If they don't show as magnetic, that doesn't mean they are real, but this way you can at least eliminate some of the cruder fake possibilities (or, more probably, confirm them).

Since the first two are fakes, and all of the coins have a similar artificially applied patina,I did not bother to check the last two. I assume you purchased these from the same source, or maybe a couple of sources. I would really like to know where they came from.

All of the coins in this thread look fake to me.  I'd stop getting coins from the source you got these from...they're selling you fake merchandise. 

I had some fake ones looked exactly like those & sent them to be graded. Luckily they spared me the cost of grading sent them back & I cut one in half & it is an extremely hard metal but the metal passes the axis test for silver some how. I can tell you that almost anything can be faked nowadays & these guys here really do know what they’re talking about.....

hope this helps

9 minutes ago, Travis Hale said:

I had some fake ones looked exactly like those & sent them to be graded. Luckily they spared me the cost of grading sent them back & I cut one in half & it is an extremely hard metal but the metal passes the axis test for silver some how. I can tell you that almost anything can be faked nowadays & these guys here really do know what they’re talking about.....

hope this helps

I'm sorry to hear that you had this experience, Travis.  I had a bad experience with a very convincing 1336/1 Ottoman gold 100 Kurush a few years ago.  The thing was gold, but the wrong alloy of gold and out of what would have been an acceptable tolerance for an Ottoman 100 Kurush.  So, I ended up selling my "rare coin" for gold scrap!  It can happen to any of us, no matter how long we've been in the game and how much experience we have at the time.  But, I learned from it and it sounds like you did as well.  It sucks, but gaining knowledge is valuable and the knowledge gained by these painful mistakes is often that which sticks with us the best.

Best of luck in your future purchases, Travis.  I really mean that :)