• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The next book: “Fads, Fakes & Foibles”

8 posts in this topic

The next book, “Fads, Fakes & Foibles,” is heading to the printer for an estimate.

-Contents-

INTRODUCTORY REMARKS

DR. BARCLAY’S EXPERIMENTAL COINAGE ~ 1841-1876

PREVENTION OF A FRAUD UPON OUR GOLD COINS

INTERNATIONAL COINAGE

BICKFORD-DUNNING GOLD EXCHANGE COIN

LOUIS GARNETT, WHEELER HUBBELL, AND THE GOLOID FIASCO

THE COMETALLIC MONEY PLAN

PS: The book “Girl on the Silver Dollar” is being printed. I hope it will be available in time for the Summer FUN show.

3 hours ago, Zebo said:

Looks interesting - 

It really does. The plans and schemes of the 19th century concerning our nation's coinage should make for entertaining reading.

To Mr. Burdette: I know that signed copies of your books are available through Wizard, but is it possible to get one autographed to a specific person?

Me too.  I'm not sure about The Girl on the Silver Dollar, but I'll probably pick it up as well.  I've seen a lot of the documents the sections of the new book are probably based on so I know it should be good.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:31 AM, Just Bob said:

It really does. The plans and schemes of the 19th century concerning our nation's coinage should make for entertaining reading.

To Mr. Burdette: I know that signed copies of your books are available through Wizard, but is it possible to get one autographed to a specific person?

Bob,

Just ask for a personalized autograph when you order. Wizard will let me know and I will sign your copy. It might take a little longer because I have to go to Wizard's suite of deluxe penthouses and past the open bar and lobster buffet....:)

2 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Roger, could you give us the "back of the jacket" description so we know what this is about? It seems intriguing. 

Well, the chapter titles kind of tell what it's about -- the overall theme is the attempt to alter coinage in strange or foolish ways. Barclay thought he knew how to prevent counterfeiting and adulteration of coins. Dunning-Bickford were going to make a gold coin that was easily convertible regardless of country. Hubbell (not related to telescope fame) thought he could solve the gold-silver standard problem by mixing the two in an alloy, then making the coins purple through special treatment. As the title suggests, lots of " Fads, Fakes & Foibles" of people and politicians.