• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1864 small motto two cent

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys...looking fo thoughts on this? It’s not my coin but I’m very tempted to try and buy it...any insight would be appreciated. Sorry for th sideways photo

E8CAB4DB-2124-424B-9638-1B73C86112F4.jpeg

Just signed up and this thread caught my eye. Don't see any replies, and don't know if you're still interested in the coin. But my opinion, definitely authentic, probably au. If you're asking about the color I'm not sure what someone did to this, my best guess is it was cleaned then they tried to get rid of the proof by speed toning to sell it. But people may have different opinions? If so I hope they post. But I think it's a beautiful 2 cent piece. I'd pay a fair xf price for it. But then again I paid a premium on an obviously artificially toned commemorative for a book, so you make the decision on price. I don't see it being slabbed, but for return people will always buy a small motto, especially that high of grade. That really is a nice one. Good find. 

This is one of those threads that I looked at and moved on, thinking that I would come back and post my comment, but then forgot .  I hate it when that happens.

Even though the color might be questionable, I still like it. Like the previous poster, I don't think I would pay full AU price, but I might go as high as VF or so. 

And, welcome to the forum, Mustang Mike.