• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ERROR VALUE ?

11 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about putting this coin up for eBay sale auction I'm not too sure what value it has , does anybody here have any idea what error coins go for? looking on eBay I was thinking maybe the starting price could be twice the melt value. Thanks. 

IMG_20190518_172549616.jpg

1 hour ago, gtw-123 said:

Thanks. Supply and Demand. 💰

Exactly......errors can be tricky, unless they're included in albums and Registry sets.  Those factors drive the prices for errors up.  Best of luck with your sale!

Edited by Mohawk

Especially for a bullion coin. 

People who buy bullion want it as close to spot as possible.  Some want it in slabs for an added layer of safety I suppose, but a diehard 'stacker' doesn't even want that.  As an internet buyer though, and/or one worried about the fakes out there, a low cost genuine slab is worth it for some I suppose as a small insurance policy for the downside risk of a fake.

On the other hand, people who do the 'collectible-bullion' (of which I have done and still have some of the Britannias left, so sincerely not casting aspersions on anyones favored way of collecting by any means) are generally interested in the highest quality.  They'd rather have a 70 than a 69. 

And I am very unsure how much crossover there is between error-collectors and collectible-bullion collectors.  The mind set is different.  One wants perfection, the other wants the opposite.  Not that collectors aren't a little scattered in their approaches, but these are two very different groupings.

Plus, these were not made for circulation so you have to wonder how they got through.  I'm pretty convinced that the British Mint does this on purpose every few years to stimulate collector interest, with their 'mule' coins for example.  I have no proof of course, it just seems 'to happen' to them...

Add in the fact it's a quarter ounce of platinum and that instantly throws the budget way up.  That said, all it takes are 2 people who decide the reeeaalllly want it and bullion errors are the wave of the future. 

The real value will be in what the coin sells for.  You can either do a true auction, or list it with a reserve.  Or, put on a large BIN with 'make offers'.  Or, if you want to do a bit better fee-wise than eBay, and with less hassle, try Great Collections.  They get plenty of eyeballs these days and the coin should not be overlooked there.  

I zoomed but couldn't see the details of the error.  Strikethrough errors are one of those that's either very "meh" or really somewhat interesting depending what was struck through and the impact on the design left behind. 

I really can't see it either even looking at the coin in my hand but apparently NGC can. Just have to rely on NGC to say it's there. I haven't seen any other coins that identify the level of impact for comparison just that it's an error. 

Lady Liberty appears to have a black eye .She also looks a little sad, and a bit pissed-off. This was minted shortly after the 9/11 attack. Interesting coincidence.