• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade Range?

6 posts in this topic

Let the nickel guys chime in on this one as I think below the hair is either environmental damage or a rusted die ??? 

I will back out on this one 

I'm not a nickel guy, but I do have an opinion.:preach:

I think that probably is a die issue on the neck, but there are quite a few tics, so I am calling this one MS64.

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

I'm not a nickel guy, but I do have an opinion.:preach:

I think that probably is a die issue on the neck, but there are quite a few tics, so I am calling this one MS64.

Rusted ? Ya think 

The bad patch of skin on the neck is fairly common.  I've seen some 67's with the same psoriasis.  I think the detractors that you'd start ticking off from there would be:  rim nick 10 o'clock on the obverse (minor fault), LIBERTY average or better strike based on the pictures, bag mark on fore of shoulder & pock mark on ribcage on reverse (immediate focal so that's probably a point there), and the tail looks flat.  I think MS64 like Bob suggested seems reasonable.  I may go 65 on it but it would be on the low end of the technical range.

I like it, though, it's a nice coin you've got there with nice clean fields.  What's the luster like in hand?

1 hour ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

The bad patch of skin on the neck is fairly common.  I've seen some 67's with the same psoriasis.  I think the detractors that you'd start ticking off from there would be:  rim nick 10 o'clock on the obverse (minor fault), LIBERTY average or better strike based on the pictures, bag mark on fore of shoulder & pock mark on ribcage on reverse (immediate focal so that's probably a point there), and the tail looks flat.  I think MS64 like Bob suggested seems reasonable.  I may go 65 on it but it would be on the low end of the technical range.

I like it, though, it's a nice coin you've got there with nice clean fields.  What's the luster like 

Very distinctive in hand hard to describe not frost not mirror clearly I'm new to this but from the past coins I've dealt with through HA and different coin shops its luster appeal uniquely differs also thanks everyone on grade and for the knowledgeable input