• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A rather shockingly bad fake slab and coin

12 posts in this topic

I saw this over in the coins sub-reddit. Some of the counterfeits are good but this one... Were they even trying?

d690854.jpg

Edited by Revenant

8 minutes ago, gtw-123 said:

Interesting. 

Screenshot_20190510-113652.png

Yeah. The cert #s are usually real. That's why they started making the pics standard. Is that box inset new? I've never seen that before.

On a related note, I am going to take my two Apollo 11 Halves to the PAN show tomorrow and have them graded by ANACS.  I love the style of their current slab and since PAN is a second tier show, the only other grading company attending is SEGS.  

5 hours ago, Revenant said:

I saw this over in the coins sub-reddit. Some of the counterfeits are good but this one... Were they even trying?

d690854.jpg

I'm kind of drawn to it.  But the Ultra Cameo designation is questionable IMHO.  (:

5 hours ago, Mokiechan said:

I'm kind of drawn to it.  But the Ultra Cameo designation is questionable IMHO.  (:

Does have that "Man on the moon" vibe

Slab is probably real, they just managed to crack it open without major damage and put the worn Ike in it as a joke.

The inset box is probably because of the domed Apollo dollar.  It probabably needed more thickness to the slab but the prongs didn't need the thickness.

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Slab is probably real, they just managed to crack it open without major damage and put the worn Ike in it as a joke.

The inset box is probably because of the domed Apollo dollar.  It probabably needed more thickness to the slab but the prongs didn't need the thickness.

After your very reasonable speculation, I had to run the number.  Came up as an Apollo 11 Dollar but without a grade or a picture. 

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

yeah. The slab is good looking. It's just the label clearly doesn't in any way match that coin.