• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANACS photo cert 1955 D/S nickel

12 posts in this topic

Looking for generation info for this nifty little nickel.  It appears to have been submitted for authenticity as there's no grade indicated.  I've seen these type certs before but looking for the history.  Thanks Cass

20190507_171430.jpg

20190507_171414.jpg

20190507_171455.jpg

I have several ANACS, IGA, etc photo grade certs but yours is the first I've seen without a grade.  I believe yours is from 1979 mine are from the mid 80's.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/anacs-photo-certificates.246560/

3 hours ago, casman said:

I don't see any damage, that's the design.

. Get some better pics .  It looks like the jaw under the ear and the shoulder  was rubbed ?

Yes, I have to agree with the late 70's for that one.

"Jake's" moved quite a few of these over mm's. I bought one of these from them, probably 1978.......

Lol yes as mentioned the date is on the cert 3/19/79.  If I'm not mistaken when ANACS started up it was only to authenticate coins, grading came along after so that is why your cert has no grade on it.  Also as to the jawline you asked about, hard to be sure with pics taken while the coin is in the flip but it looks like an incomplete strike coupled with some die erosion.  But it may also have some rub there too. 

The way I read it, the OP was not looking for the date, since it's clearly typed on the front, but was looking for information on ANACS Authentication Service before they started grading coins. And I believe he also wanted the number of the generation - in other words, what number Conder101 would give this certificate in his book.

Generation number from my book would be ANACS 3, ANACS began grading in March of 1979 so this would probably be one of the very last authentication only certificates.  It was still possible to request authenitfication only but since the price was the same as with grading pretty much everyone went the grading route.  This certifcate style was used from 1978 to 1981 so it overlaps the start of grading and these certificats can be found either way depending on exactly when they were done.