• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ancient Roman coins ?

9 posts in this topic

Need diameters (in mm please). However, the one at left is certainly Theodosius the Great (at least if one likes theocrats, he was great). AE3, I suspect; Siscia mint. This one's in nice shape and probably gets $12-15. At right, I think that's Constantine the Great, AE4, can't make out the exergue (letters on bottom reverse that usually denote the mint). Value about the same, maybe slightly less--it's a little less nice. But both are in reasonably decent condition.

4 minutes ago, JKK said:

Need diameters (in mm please). However, the one at left is certainly Theodosius the Great (at least if one likes theocrats, he was great). AE3, I suspect; Siscia mint. This one's in nice shape and probably gets $12-15. At right, I think that's Constantine the Great, AE4, can't make out the exergue (letters on bottom reverse that usually denote the mint). Value about the same, maybe slightly less--it's a little less nice. But both are in reasonably decent condition.

Hey Jonathan,

You beat me to it!  I was literally just digging around in Aorta.....I was thinking Theodosius the Not So Great (my opinion on him) on the one on the left, but I wasn't sure which Constantine the one on the right was...there were quite a few Constantines and these coins are later than the ones I focus on, so I haven't gotten as familiar with them as I have with Faustina the Younger especially, but also the other rulers during that period.  They are in pretty nice shape, though.  But, we'll definitely need diameters to know the types for sure.

Edited by Mohawk

The coinages of Diocletian, Constantine, and Constantius are voluminous. You going to go after issues of Theodora? She hasn't many.

46 minutes ago, JKK said:

The coinages of Diocletian, Constantine, and Constantius are voluminous. You going to go after issues of Theodora? She hasn't many.

As of right now, I don't plan to.....I've kind of gotten enthralled with Faustina the Younger's coins and her issues are voluminous for an Augusta.  She could potentially keep me busy for years, especially if I expand out beyond just silver issues.  I will admit that I've considered pursuing Lucilla, Crispina, Plautilla and Julia Domna at some point.  I like the classical Roman era and the aesthetics of the coins from that era, so Theodora is a bit late for me.  The Byzantine coinage kind of looks......shoddy and poorly made compared to the stuff from Nero to Septimius Severus, at least in my opinion.

Edited by Mohawk
Typo

Oh, it definitely gets worse during the barracks emperors, and even worse after the Diocletian/Constantine era.

3 minutes ago, JKK said:

Oh, it definitely gets worse during the barracks emperors, and even worse after the Diocletian/Constantine era.

You can say that again! The barracks emperor stuff is typically absolutely awful, especially those debased Ants.....*shudder*.  And the post Diocletian/Constantine era stuff is absolutely dreadful, and it just kept on getting worse.......the portraits on the last issues of the Western Empire all look the same to me.  They're so poorly executed that each one could be the same person.  And the Eastern Empire certainly didn't see fit to bring the artistic integrity back up to a quality level approaching the Five Good Emperors era.  I don't know why....at least the Western Empire had something of an excuse as it was in the midst of collapsing.  I'll stick to my Faustinas.......those are all gorgeous if you get nice grades!

The really ugly stuff are the billon Ants of people like Footstool Boy. They got so washed out by the process. By the way, I'm planning a presentation on Imperial IDing for my coin club and have drafted a PowerPig presentation. If you can put up with an 8MB .pptx and would be interested to look at it, fire me your email address. It's all stuff you already understand, but you came to the understanding relatively recently, so your opinion and feedback would be of great value.

20 minutes ago, JKK said:

The really ugly stuff are the billon Ants of people like Footstool Boy. They got so washed out by the process. By the way, I'm planning a presentation on Imperial IDing for my coin club and have drafted a PowerPig presentation. If you can put up with an 8MB .pptx and would be interested to look at it, fire me your email address. It's all stuff you already understand, but you came to the understanding relatively recently, so your opinion and feedback would be of great value.

PM Sent :)