• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Type Sets

6 posts in this topic

I bought a few Type Sets at an auction which included a seated set and barber set. My question is, would it devalue the coins if i took them out of the plastic case and carded them up separately? I would rather have the coins separated so I can have the coins to help complete sets but if they are, for some reason, more valuable in a type set, then I would probably keep them in the plastic case. 

Hello and Welcome!

The holders your coins are in are certainly not government issued holders based on the ages of the coin types involved.  Busting them out of there will have no effect on the value.

I hope this helps!

~Tom

32 minutes ago, American Coin Hoarder said:

Okay, thanks! 

No problem! Enjoy adding your coins to your sets!

Just to confirm what Tom said: the mint hasn't ever sold type sets that I know of. That means they are only thus packaged because someone decided to merchandise or collect them that way. Which means about as much as if I did so. If you can benefit from busting them out, rock on--you're not losing anything.

But it was a very good question, because in many cases, people ought not to break things out of government packaging willy-nilly. GSA Morgans are a good example of this. So I understand why you asked.

17 hours ago, JKK said:

Just to confirm what Tom said: the mint hasn't ever sold type sets that I know of. That means they are only thus packaged because someone decided to merchandise or collect them that way. Which means about as much as if I did so. If you can benefit from busting them out, rock on--you're not losing anything.

But it was a very good question, because in many cases, people ought not to break things out of government packaging willy-nilly. GSA Morgans are a good example of this. So I understand why you asked.

Thank you for that added clarity Jonathan.  I should have thought to add something just like that to what I typed, but I clearly didn't :facepalm:.  Ah well, can't think of everything :).  This is what's great about this community....we can build off of what others say and, through doing so, really provide some great information.