• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 s possibly die crack
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Looks like you have a die crack on your hands, Hinkle!  Congrats!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Yes, a scratch made into the coin post-mint. They can be very deceiving.

Looks like diecrack to me if it was a scratch it would of crossed right through the 6 and dented it inward on the date ... it didn’t the 6 stands above the line , which leads me to believe it is a sort of a die crack 

Or perhaps the mint was polishing the die at that time with a Wire brush and pieces of bristled got pressed into the dies while it was pounding out coins left an indention on coin making it look like a die crack ? 

Edited by Jason Abshier

Thanks everyone, I think this one will go on esty for a thousand. 🤑Hahahaha lol. Just kidding I'm just going to put it in with the rest of my errors. 😋

On 5/2/2019 at 12:35 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Looks like diecrack to me if it was a scratch it would of crossed right through the 6 and dented it inward on the date ... it didn’t the 6 stands above the line , which leads me to believe it is a sort of a die crack 

I am no metallurgist, but it seems more likely to me that an object that scratched the surface of the coin could skip over part of a numeral,  than for a crack to appear in the center of the die, and spread almost completely across, but stop right before it reached the edge.

I am just some random guy who sometimes hangs out on a coin chat board,  so if you don't agree with my opinion, no big deal. Mr, Lange, however,  is a numismatic author, researcher, attributor, and authenticator. He is currently Research Director at NGC,  and was named ANA Numismatist of the Year two years ago. He has also been awarded the association's Lifetime Achievement award.  He knows more about coins than I ever will. If he says it is a scratch, he is not just guessing. 

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I am no metallurgist, but it seems more likely to me that an object that scratched the surface of the coin could skip over part of a numeral,  than for a crack to appear in the center of the die, and spread almost completely across, but stop right before it reached the edge.

I am just some random guy who sometimes hangs out on a coin chat board,  so if you don't agree with my opinion, no big deal. Mr, Lange, however,  is a numismatic author, researcher, attributor, and authenticator. He is currently Research Director at NGC,  and was named ANA Numismatist of the Year two years ago. He has also been awarded the association's Lifetime Achievement award.  He knows more about coins than I ever will. If he says it is a scratch, he is not just guessing. 

I’m not disagreeing with anyone on here I know there are way more knowledgeable guys on here than me that looked at thousands and thousands of coins ... Way I see a scratch on a coin is below the surface forced inward below the surface ... he said the crack or scratch that some are calling was Raised upward sitting on top the coin leads me to believe a die crack or something scratched the Dies themselves while it was pounding out coins leaving a raised mark on the coin ...