• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A die marker for counterfeit LWC

2 posts in this topic

There are a lot of counterfeit Lincoln Wheat Cents that have a chip in the die half way up the right side of the left wheat stalk.

I have seen it on many dates, many are not even semi-keys just common dates. I have a 1911-D that I show around and more than one knowledgeable dealer didn't catch it as a fake.

Some say that I shouldn't post these "tells" online because it could alert the forgers of what to correct so as to make the fakes less identifiable. 

I believe that sharing information is vital to combating counterfeits. Reputable TPG services such as NGC are very important for assuring authenticity of higher priced coins. When a coin is worth less than the cost of grading it, other options are needed. This is one of the only places to discuss counterfeits out of all the coin forums. THANK YOU!! NGC for doing the right thing and leading the industry to share information about the counterfeit plague while others just stick their head in the sand.

1912DLWCrevbumponleftwheat.thumb.jpg.250174b3a5fa74f3504b7b71b5a2053f.jpg