• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lincoln Cents- Carbon Spots & AT

20 posts in this topic

I was just curious about a couple spots on this cent. Normally,  I steer clear of spots,  but how much do they take from grading? Is it more of a distraction issue than any sort of corrosion issue? In the even I decide to sell,  I'm expecting to be talked down due to 2 spots. Would this normally be the case? Thank you. 

20190327_172327-01.jpeg

20190327_172307-01.jpeg

Edited by BLive1972

You're correct that spots will detract and inhibit selling. Spots on yours not bad IMO, but I agree with Mark, based on the photo. As far as grading, IMO (again) the services are too lenient when it comes to carbon spots, that or they have developed in the slab. Not sure about CAC. When I collect copper or bronze I avoid spots like the plague unless very minor, but based on auction results for scarcer coins others are more accepting.  . 

Small carbon spots do not affect the technical grade but do affect the eye appeal portion of grading and can; depending on location and size; affect the price a coin can sell for.  A small carbon spot or two that are well hidden in the design; say in the wheat stalk or Lincoln's coat; will often be acceptable especially true for key dates.  However spots like the one on the rev of the coin you posted detract from the eye appeal to many collectors and many would avoid a coin with spots like that, even when the price is discounted.  I would also agree that if the picture represents the color of this coin accurately the spots are the least of its problems.

Thank you gents. Im gonna get with the elderly man who had these in his books to ask him about the toning.  I pulled several outt hat looked nice from 3 different albums.  He said he had them for 20+ years. Appreciate the input 👍 Never know anymore.  I'm done with cents already lol

So its safe assume this is AT as well.  Oh welp :) 3 coins in one album had pink and green.  It was a album with white pages but I can't recall.  I'll go back and ask.  I questioned the toning,  but I'm not educated in copper and never buy something you aren't sure of!! :) thankfully no box expense

20190321_115542-01.jpeg

20190321_115635-01.jpeg

It could be the lighting/imaging, but the 1926 doesn’t look original to me, either. The gentleman might not have done anything to the coins, but that doesn’t mean someone else didn’t.

2 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

It could be the lighting/imaging, but the 1926 doesn’t look original to me, either. The gentleman might not have done anything to the coins, but that doesn’t mean someone else didn’t.

I value your professional input Mark.  Thank you. 

The bright pink color on the rev is what would scare me on the 26, that is very often seen on copper that has been dipped.  I wouldn't say that both of the coins you have shown are for sure no questions asked AT; these days all kinds of Easter egg color coins are getting slabbed; but I would pass on them unless very cheap (say a couple of bucks cheap) and you want to place them into an album.  That is especially true for the 26, a very common date that can be found nice for not much money.

Yeah,  it's my fault for not looking into copper toning beforehand.  I can spot some fake silver,  but the copper I'm not too sure of.  I guess every one I bought from him is AT.  I wouldn't expect that from an old timer to be honest.  I thought it was a score being able to rummage through his albums.  The Woody's I got were probably the most original.  Here's a couple others that are prob AT.  Thankfully bone were too much h although I wouldn't mind my $20 back for that 33D lol it's a valuable lesson learned and all part of collecting.  I'm humbled by it.  

20190304_122031-01.jpeg

20190304_122223-01.jpeg

2 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Unfortunately, the others don’t look original, either. It’s quite possible that the seller was unaware of it.

That's what I'm guessing. Well,  someone will enjoy getting them in their change :)

7 minutes ago, BLive1972 said:

That's what I'm guessing. Well,  someone will enjoy getting them in their change :)

Before putting them in your change may I make a suggestion? You could find a YN in your local coin club to give them to. It may be the push a kid needs to start a Lincoln set and despite the AT they are decent quality coins to start off with. I know I would have been ecstatic if I was given these when I was a kid.