• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1996 1C DD or lamination issue?

4 posts in this topic

Here is the second Coin I meant to post as well but I had to reduce the size of the Image file. It is 1993 Lincoln 1C and it looks more like a laminating issue. I am wondering if it is worth preserving these? As a Collector, I love the look, the history and I might just keep them but would love to hear thought from other collectors. 

1993 DD 1C OBV.jpg

1993 DD 1C Rev.jpg

I am by no means an expert, but I  can confidently  say  that the second cent is merely bubbles caused by the zinc. This is very common in post 82 cents. Eventually they will turn to zinc rot and rupture. I want to say the same about the 1st coin although  they use a different term, linear plate something  or other. But both are caused by inferior plating mixes. Have you checked the website error-ref.com ? It is a wealth of great  information on types of errors and their causes, if known.

7 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

I am by no means an expert, but I  can confidently  say  that the second cent is merely bubbles caused by the zinc. This is very common in post 82 cents. Eventually they will turn to zinc rot and rupture. I want to say the same about the 1st coin although  they use a different term, linear plate something  or other. But both are caused by inferior plating mixes. Have you checked the website error-ref.com ? It is a wealth of great  information on types of errors and their causes, if known.

Thank you for the response, I did confirm that it was a plating issue. I think that I am now able to tell the Double Dies from Die shift during strike, But I will always ask :D