• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1992 mint error?

8 posts in this topic

I'm new to this chat site but not new to coin collecting and would like to know if anyone may think this is a true mint error or not. The 2000 date although reversed is raised. There seems to be 3 edges at that area of the coin. Any insight as to how this could have been applied would be appreciated.                   Thanks K.P.

Tue Mar 26 07-50-24.jpg

Tue Mar 26 07-54-46.jpg

I think i know the answer to this but I will wait for the pros to come in first. Be patient friend, they're really friendly and helpful. Someone will most likely answer your question soon, as I think its a fairly easy explanation if I'm correct.

PS - Could you take a clear picture of the whole coin? Thank you.

The most likely explanation is that the raised letters and edges are not actually part of the coin, but are a foreign substance, such as glue, that another coin was pressed into. The other coin would obviously have to have an incuse date in order for the numbers on your coin to be raised.

It could also be a case of the date being transferred from another coin through pressure.

From what I can see in the second picture the reversed 2000 does NOT appear to be raised.  And it is also impossible to start with a raised forward 2000 (the master hub) and by any combination pressing or striking to get a raised reverse 2000.

In this picture, the reversed date looks incused. I think it is a case of the date from another coin being pressed into this one.