• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paying for Strike Designations?

2 posts in this topic

When submitting coins for grading that have varieties and other strike conditions, does one have to include a $12 per coin designation review fee for those strike designations?

I ask, because I currently have a 1942 D/D (FS-501) Mercury dime submitted that I believe might have full bands (FB) but I did not specify a designation review. The coin shows scheduled for grading and indicates the FS-501 RPM but no Full Band designation. I did apply the Variety Plus fee to this coin and to a 1964 Washington Quarter with a type B reverse.

Additionally, in the past I have submitted several Jefferson nickels with RPMs that should have had Five Step (FS) designations but did not come back that way. So, if this is the case please let me know that I might resubmit those nickels because it makes a large difference in their value.

Earlier, I have had to resubmit several coins to pick up their varieties because at first I did not realize that the grading did not include anything beyond that. As you might imagine the costs for resubmitting can become expensive. Again, does the designation fee apply to such strike designations as Proof Like (PL), Star (*) . . . ?1372676662_Screenshot_2019-03-22SubmissionTrackingNGC.thumb.png.3b1e3540340bc947182dcb5a97d868a1.png

Thanks,

Milt

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

First, varieties and strike characters are not the same. Adding a variety to an already NGC-certified coin is done at a fee of $15. Adding a strike character such as FB, 5FS, CAMEO, PL, etc. is done at a fee of $12. You can specify both services when submitting an already NGC-certified coin.

For submissions of raw coins, the strike characters will be applied automatically as part of the grading process, but varieties will not be applied unless they are ones indicated as having no fee at the VarietyPlus website and are identified by the submitter on the form.