• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Die Cracks of any significance ?
1 1

58 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2022 at 11:52 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

EAC is an area that heavily collects die varieties and die states.  That said, only rare die states bring a significant premium.  

...bust halves n liberty seated r other die variety n die state communities as well...

On 2/25/2022 at 8:06 PM, tj96 said:

So my next question would be to the person in-charge of quality control at the mints.

He’s blind and smokes too much weed. 

On 2/26/2022 at 4:23 PM, Errorists said:

There is none. :)

Literally true. They are trying to handle it with automation. 

On 3/3/2022 at 6:09 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

That die crack on the "O" in ORE is magnificent. lol

Sweet coin. (thumbsu

You mean this one?  That's not a die crack, it's part of the coin. xD

20181212_S20181212_003-ccfopt-ccfopt.jpg.10ca919642d9f89ee2d52045c71e94d9.jpg

On 2/25/2022 at 9:06 PM, tj96 said:

So my next question would be to the person in-charge of quality control at the mints.

The answer is they are banging out these coins in rapid fire order. They probably have a schedule for checking the dies perhaps based on the number of impressions made. If they note that the does are damaged, they get pulled, but they not going to go through bags of coins to find the pieces struck with the broken die. They are shipped and sold, which would include the Proofs. 

The classic example of this was the 1955 Doubled Die Cent. Mint personnel noted the problem after perhaps 20 to 40 thousand coins had been struck. Those coins had been packed up in bags. They were not going to take the time to search the bags for the doubled die coins, so they were shipped. 

On 3/3/2022 at 12:46 PM, BillJones said:

The answer is they are banging out these coins in rapid fire order. They probably have a schedule for checking the dies perhaps based on the number of impressions made. If they note that the does are damaged, they get pulled, but they not going to go through bags of coins to find the pieces struck with the broken die. They are shipped and sold, which would include the Proofs. 

The classic example of this was the 1955 Doubled Die Cent. Mint personnel noted the problem after perhaps 20 to 40 thousand coins had been struck. Those coins had been packed up in bags. They were not going to take the time to search the bags for the doubled die coins, so they were shipped. 

So you're saying they bag and ship proof coins?

On 3/3/2022 at 2:27 PM, tj96 said:

So you're saying they bag and ship proof coins?

No, they don't bag them, but I imagine that they have them in some sort of a container with something like "popcorn" Styrofoam between them (I've seen films of that on the news). If they were caught in gloves and never came in contact with other coins, they would all be mark free. They aren't. They are also supposed to be inspected but somehow this made its way to me one year.

Ugly Proof Sakie.JPG

On 3/3/2022 at 2:56 PM, BillJones said:

No, they don't bag them, but I imagine that they have them in some sort of a container with something like "popcorn" Styrofoam between them (I've seen films of that on the news). If they were caught in gloves and never came in contact with other coins, they would all be mark free. They aren't. They are also supposed to be inspected but somehow this made its way to me one year.

Ugly Proof Sakie.JPG

Yes, I know this kind of stuff gets thru.  I have several mint and proof sets with damaged coins and error coins in them.  I even have one with a fingerprint on the coin!   No doubt in my mind, that mint employee could be identified by the FBI's fingerprint division!!  :roflmao:  

I have no idea how these mint and proof sets are even packaged.  By machine?  Hand packaged?   I don't know.

On 3/3/2022 at 3:08 PM, tj96 said:

I have no idea how these mint and proof sets are even packaged.  By machine?  Hand packaged?   I don't know.

Unless machines have fingerprints, I dare say humans are involved. 

Edited by BillJones

On 3/3/2022 at 3:12 PM, BillJones said:

Unless machines have fingerprints, I dare say humans are involved. 

The mint set is from the 70's and obviously done by hand.  The fingerprint slowly appeared over time.  Not sure how they're packaged today. 

On 3/3/2022 at 3:24 PM, tj96 said:

The mint set is from the 70's and obviously done by hand.  The fingerprint slowly appeared over time.  Not sure how they're packaged today. 

I had a Proof set the mint sent to me, back in the 2000s, that had a fingerprint on the dime from the get-go. This was like 15 to 17 years ago.