• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre 33 gold Any input would be appreciated

43 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, Datdude88 said:

Well that's why I'm on a coin forum no need to be snide thanks for your imput

I was giving you honest feedback that I hoped might be helpful. I’m sorry if you considered my comments to be “snide”.

I'm just a guy who stumbled upon some coins just to clear that up. I'm in no way an expert or even semi knowledgeable when it comes to coins I'm here seeking knowledge thanks 

The Washington Mint is a private firm. It is not connected with the US government in any way. They chose the name to make it sound official, and in my opinion, to mislead potential buyers into thinking that they were buying coins directly from the United States Mint.

Well some advice from some experienced people has been provided. Some of the advice contradicts your understanding of the coin provenance.

Please do share your results once you get them graded.

Well I called the phone number that was hand written on a piece of paper and govmint bought the company "pcs" that originally sold that set of silver coins the receipt was definitely deceiving none the less a pretty cool handful of stuff 

Not purchased from the Treasury, or from the US Mint.  The Washington Mint is a private firm well known for putting together "sets" of greatly overpriced coins and selling them to the general public.  From what I can see from those images, those coins are probably worth $200 of less so 30 years after they were purchased.  I'm afraid he got taken on those.

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Not purchased from the Treasury, or from the US Mint.  The Washington Mint is a private firm well known for putting together "sets" of greatly overpriced coins and selling them to the general public.  From what I can see from those images, those coins are probably worth $200 of less so 30 years after they were purchased.  I'm afraid he got taken on those.

"United States Mint Lawsuit Ends in Historic Settlement Washington Mint, LLC Pays U.S. $2.1 Million

August 8, 2002

WASHINGTON — The United States Mint announced today that the Department of Justice has settled all of the United States Mint’s copyright, trademark and false advertising claims against the Washington Mint, LLC. The settlement, in which the Washington Mint must pay the U.S. Government $2.1 million, marks the end of three years of litigation...…………….."

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-releases/20020808-united-states-mint-lawsuit-ends-in-historic-settlement-washington-mint-llc-pays-u-s-2-1-million

Edited by jgrinz

On 3/16/2019 at 10:51 PM, Datdude88 said:

I think they're definitely more valuable than they're willing to let on I'm definitely getting them graded thanks alot for your imput this was taken with a way better camera 

212f_crop_470x484.jpg

212b_crop_450x449.jpg

Were you able to get this authenticated? This coin doesnt appear right to me.

On 3/24/2019 at 12:07 PM, BipolarBaby said:

Were you able to get this authenticated? This coin doesnt appear right to me.

Theres 3 pcgs authorized coin dealers in my area and none of them mentioned any possibility of counterfeit 

I wouldn't get too excited about value. The 1926 $10 Indian and the 1904 $20 Liberty are two of are the most common dates available. If your friend's grandpa was buying these contemporaneously with their US Mint release, then he picked the wrong years to buy for both series. 

On 3/27/2019 at 7:19 PM, Datdude88 said:

Theres 3 pcgs authorized coin dealers in my area and none of them mentioned any possibility of counterfeit 

Being an "authorized PCGS dealer" is NOT the same thing as being a PCGS grader, or a qualified expert authenticator.