• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 P Jefferson Nickel with handles on building.

11 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.

It appears that it has a small die chip on each end of Monticello, and the missing detail on the top left of the window to the right of the right column could be a filled die, or might just be a hit on the surface. The same with the missing detail just to the bottom right of that same window. The spot at the top of the portico, above the second column from the left, looks like a contact mark, as do the marks on "I" and "V" in the word "FIVE." (and a few other places).

The die chips and filled die (if that is what it is) are considered errors, but those do not look significant enough to garner much premium. It is a nice looking Jefferson, though, and if I found it in circulation, I would certainly keep it as an interesting piece.

Thank you for the welcome and the knowledge. I have found several other coins that I think are errors.  I also found a 1999 P nickel in the same roll but the 1 is missing, so the coin reads 999. What type of error would that be?

190306133023472.jpg

190306133442513.jpg

I think your 1999 nickel is a filled die error.  Some grease or other junk filled the numeral 1 in for a few strikes, producing your coin.  It could be a die polishing error as well, where some workers at the US Mint were re-polishing the die to get some more use out of it and accidentally obliterated the 1.  My gut says filled die though.  And the others are spot on with your 2018 nickel.....definite die chips.

Edited by Mohawk

17 minutes ago, RReynolds said:

Thanks, it looks pretty cool.

They both look pretty cool, I'd say.  Sometimes even minor errors can cause an interesting appearance in coins.  Those are pretty cool finds!

On 3/8/2019 at 9:33 PM, Mohawk said:

They both look pretty cool, I'd say.  Sometimes even minor errors can cause an interesting appearance in coins.  Those are pretty cool finds!

Thanks!