• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1963 D Jefferson Nickel Error Question

9 posts in this topic

Hello-

It's been a while since I've been around, but I took a long break from collecting after I relocated to Buffalo.  If this is in the wrong spot admin,  please move for me. Anyway,  thought I'd drop in and ask any users who might be collectors of Jefferson nickels a question about one I found. Right now I just collect Buffalo nickles,  Morgan's and Winged Liberty's,  but this was in some pocket change.  It's just a 1963 D,  but there's cud on the rim and something under the 6. I can tell tell if its a crooked 5 or if I'm just old and blind.  I've searched around for common errors in this date,  but I can't find anything like this one. I'd love a few of your opinions positive or negative.  Thanks in advance.  

20190210_071207-01.jpeg

20190210_070206-01.jpeg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That's a tiny rim break in the die, sometimes called a cud. It's fun but does not any value when that small.

22 hours ago, DWLange said:

That's a tiny rim break in the die, sometimes called a cud. It's fun but does not any value when that small.

I see the cud.  I was more looking at what's directly under the 6. Probably PMD tho

5 hours ago, BLive1972 said:

I see the cud.  I was more looking at what's directly under the 6. Probably PMD tho

I think it's either a die chip or PMD.

2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I think it's either a die chip or PMD.

Agree.  This one had me looking real hard though :) I normally know better with mechanical doublings and pmd. I don't know why I thought different.  This is why I don't roll hunt.  It would drive me nuts  🧐

I remember die chips like this in the 60's on Jeffersons. The 1960 D 'Bar 0' was a big deal at the time. It took the strong will of a collector, as an 8 or 9 year old to save that nickel instead of blowing it on a candy bar !

6 hours ago, thebeav said:

I remember die chips like this in the 60's on Jeffersons. The 1960 D 'Bar 0' was a big deal at the time. It took the strong will of a collector, as an 8 or 9 year old to save that nickel instead of blowing it on a candy bar !

I didn't have much willpower as a kid. I kept raiding the Jefferson Whitman album to buy candy. It didn't help that I lived right across the street from the store.

11 hours ago, thebeav said:

Die chips are also notoriously present on Canadian cents from the 1950's and 1960's for some reason.  I remember when I was kid collecting them (not in the 1960's, the 1980's) I was always thinking I had some discovery piece or something.  Nope.  Just die chips.  Eventually I learned though, thanks to a patient dealer and a patient dad :)