• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1969 d penny floating roof

7 posts in this topic

I actually cannot say I've ever heard of a "floating roof" before.  I checked out NGC's Variety Plus page and I didn't see any "floating roofs" listed there either.  Because of this, I have to say I doubt that it's a real variety.  I think what you have is the result of a filled die, which typically brings no premium.  The only exception to that general that I know of is some varieties of the 1922 No D and 1922 Weak D Lincoln Wheat Cents.  Typically, if you think you have a variety, it's a good rule of thumb to check Variety Plus on NGC's site.  If it's not there, it's likely not a true variety or the variety is so minor as to bring no premium (though there are some exceptions to that, such as some Morgan and Peace Dollar VAMs).  I did a little research and the floating roof seems to be something that some less informed posters on some other coin boards that are, shall we say, of lesser quality than the NGC boards, use to feel special about some Lincoln Cent roll finds that really aren't special.  It's grasping at straws in my opinion.  Some people always have to feel that they found something, even if they've really found nothing.  This "floating roof" thing is just another version of the whole "pac man" thing......something not worth pursuing.

Cool, thank you. I looked up 1969d floating roof and pop up things about it. Watch a little on YouTube and they were saying it not an error. But in time it could. But still hunting for  some good ones out there. All the error varieties are tuff but fun to look for. Thanks again. 

No problem.  There are good errors and varieties than can be found in circulation, but be careful of which sources you use in determining varieties to look for.  CONECA and NGC's Variety Plus are great resources. 

https://conecaonline.org/

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/

Be careful of what people say on some other boards.  There's a lot of misinformation out there that can easily lead to disappointment.  I used to belong to a lot of those other boards as well.  Now I only post here.  There are reasons for that.

Better Luck Next Time!

~Tom

10 minutes ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

Floating roof, flood water die #3

Lol, does that mean it's an error. Don't understand Haha. 

Yes that is a "floating roof",  It is not the result of a grease fill, it is the result of an overpolished die.  It is not a variety, it is not a mint error.  It is just a late die stage of that particular die, but could also happen on other dies if they are overpolished.