• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My mercury dime set for your viewing pleasure (or disgust....)

9 posts in this topic

As some of you know, I've been working on a new set of Mercury dimes since about December. I bought quite a few at the Central States show, and thought you might enjoy these scans of the collection as it now looks. You can CLICK these three images to see a HUGE (1 Megabyte) version.

My goal is coins strictly in the VF-30 - EF-40 range, such that the fasces on the reverse show full vertical bands. Note that I like to store the P-mint coins obverse up, and mint-marked coins with the reverse facing up.

One advantage of using vintage albums (this one is circa 1960) is that some of the varieties discovered later need not be added. You'll notice that there is no slot for the two overdates.

Enjoy!

merc1_.jpg merc2_.jpg merc3_.jpg

James

That is a very nice collection you are aiming to build. It is a little higher gradewise than the Barber half dollar set that I have been working on for quite a while.

I have only looked through the small images of your coins, but certain pieces struck me for their beauty. These include the 1920-D and 1931. They are very nice coins. thumbsup2.gif

At Central States, I took several of my collections with me - not for sale, but for "show and tell" (it is, after all, a coin SHOW). There are quite a few folks who don't realize that you can create an attractive collection with circulated coins. A person need not collect UNC or pop-top coins to achieve a nice set!

My set which everyone loves to look at is my Standing Liberty quarters. As many of you know, I recently added the 1916 and the 1918/7, in XF/AU, and the set is now completely in AU (I just upgraded the last coin, a 1930-S, to AU). Most knowledgeable collectors are amazed to see those two big slots (16, 18/7) in a Dansco album WITH COINS in them!

Thanks for the compliments, everyone, including the PMs. I believe the "SHOW" part of "coin show" is often overlooked, as most people are there just to BUY or SELL.

James

You've got a nice set going there,my set is in about the same grade range as yours and I really enjoyed putting it together.I think I might just take it along to the next show I attend.Great idea!