• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Would You Grade This Ancient Coin

12 posts in this topic

That's a beauty. I'm not an expert on mint state ancient gold, but if I had to assign a grade I'd say MS-63 would be conservative and MS-65 was probable. Not sure how they assess the higher grades when it comes to a coin like that.

Got to hammer for five figures at the very least.

The gold solidus of Zeno sold for $2,100.00 at the NFA auction. For comparison see the photos below of a gold solidus of Theodosius II that NGC slabbed for me. I believe my coin of Zeno is equal in grade to the solidus of Theodosius II, but the quality of the dies are superior. To my knowledge the coin of Zeno is unique.

Blow-up 3, dup..jpg

Blow-up 3, rev..jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

5 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

The coin is proof-like & the color is accurate. You determine wear from the high points.

If that was in reply to my previous post, I know how to grade coins.

The condition of the portion of the surfaces apart from the high points is usually relevant, as well.

Mark Feld, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, I was just stating the obvious. Of course determining the grade from a photo alone is impossible, however, with accurate photos most collectors & dealers can give a good "guesstimate". That's all I was looking for. I will send this coin along with a few others to NGC for grading & will post the results when available. 

29 minutes ago, Al Kowsky said:

Mark Feld, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, I was just stating the obvious. Of course determining the grade from a photo alone is impossible, however, with accurate photos most collectors & dealers can give a good "guesstimate". That's all I was looking for. I will send this coin along with a few others to NGC for grading & will post the results when available. 

In general, I agree about guesstimates - at least for many coins, other than Proofs. However, the coin in question (and/or the image) is bright and it's impossible to get a good look at the surfaces. It appears to be at least AU, but for all I know, it's hairlined and/or has been cleaned, but that's not apparent in the pictures.

Best of luck and please let us know the result.