• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Graders Discover Light Finish 2018-S Silver Reverse Proof Set Half Dollars

8 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mk123 said:

thats very interesting, wonder how much the light finish will be.

Me too......I guess we'll have to wait and see how these perform when graded by NGC.  I've seen some raw examples of this coin and sets with the coin in them bringing about $80 to $90 for a single and about $110 for a whole set with the Light Finish half in it.  Obviously, NGC's recognition of this variety will certainly help it.  It'll be exciting to watch!

51 minutes ago, Mk123 said:

@Mohawk If there is less than 10% or so of sets with this light finish, it may be a good time to pick up some raw light finish sets for speculation.....good be a home run...

Mk,

It could be.......if that 10% number holds up.  However, I don't think it will.  I've honestly seen many of these for sale right now in all sorts of offerings......raw singles, in sets and unattributed in slabs.  A lot of these seem to have sneaked past PCGS's graders in particular.  I think the 10% number is a pretty low estimate.  I'd say that the number of these made is at least 25% of the total, maybe more.  It could be as high as 40% of the mintage...my guess is somewhere in the lower 30's, if I were to go on what I've seen up to this point.  I also think that NGC's attribution is going to cause a lot of these to come out of the woodwork and raise the number up.  As for picking some up, it could be worthwhile but something in my gut is telling me this one isn't for me.......I've just seen too many of the darn things!! I remember in 2008, when the 2008-W Uncirculated Burnished ASE with the Reverse of 2007 was discovered......there weren't nearly as many of them floating around on Ebay and other venues as I've seen of this Light Finish half dollar.  Also, it really isn't that spectacular to look at, at least I don't find it to be so.  It kind of looks like a brilliant proof from the 1960's or early 1970's, but with a 2018 date.  It's rather underwhelming when you actually see one.  The actual non-error Reverse Proof is a much higher level of eye candy than the Light Finish version.  But, I could be completely wrong.  Minor varieties have taken off before......the 1970-S Small Date cents come immediately to mind.  I'd say that if you like it or you're a Kennedy Half fan, go for it, but don't expect a huge payday in the long run.  That said though, I've been wrong before and I'm sure to be wrong again.  Sadly, my Magic 8 Ball isn't being very helpful on this one :)

As always, just my thoughts.

~Tom

I find the "light finish" variety less attractive, and don't know if the rarity factor will create a premium in the long run.  Although it may not be a great analogy, I'm thinking of the 1911-D quarter eagle weak-D variety which is much lower priced than the strong-D variety (although I don't know the relative rarity, but it seems there a fewer of the weak-D's around) and one must be cautious when purchasing that coin to avoid paying strong-D money for a weak-D. 

Just my 2 cents.

4 hours ago, JIM F. said:

I find the "light finish" variety less attractive, and don't know if the rarity factor will create a premium in the long run.  Although it may not be a great analogy, I'm thinking of the 1911-D quarter eagle weak-D variety which is much lower priced than the strong-D variety (although I don't know the relative rarity, but it seems there a fewer of the weak-D's around) and one must be cautious when purchasing that coin to avoid paying strong-D money for a weak-D. 

Just my 2 cents.

I absolutely share your thoughts on this one.......it's not an attractive coin and you can get a Kennedy Half with virtually this same appearance from a non-cameo 1968-1970 Proof Set.  Also, I don't think it's going to turn out to be all that rare.  I strongly feel that, in the long run, this light finish half will only be sought after by the Kennedy collector who absolutely has to have everything.