• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCG Launches Collectibles Authentication Guaranty (CAG); Armstrong Family Collection Certified

13 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, JIM F. said:

Kinda reminds me of SEGS who would certify ANYTHING!  Anyone shudder when I mentioned SEGS? 

Yeah....SEGS is shudder-worthy.  But NGC is not SEGS.  I think that this new service will be of value to people who collect things like this.  NGC will keep the integrity that they're known for with coins, currency and comics with this new venture as well.  I'm sure of it.

I was cruising Wikipedia, Apollo XI, and clicked on the famous photo of Buzz, and then found my way from the bottom of the screen to an upcoming Heritage Auction, just 20 days out from today.

It looks like a starting bid for Neil's "original" and "flown" Robbins Medal is $250,000.

It's in an NGC slab, and whoever gets it will be "over the moon" delighted.  Gold, and graded MS67.

It's beautiful!

5 hours ago, Conder101 said:

No, because SEGS is a good and legitimate service.  (Do NOT confuse them with SGS).  They may not grade to the standards of PCGS or NGC, but they are better at variety attribution than either of them

15 or so years ago SEGS could get you some good cherries...

It says these CAG holders preserve the provienance, but I see not reference to the provenance on the holders.  At least on the old holders they referenced that they were from the Armstrong family collection.  So these new holders show LESS provenance connection.

If you're spending this kind of money, there will be plenty of identifiers.

Like never published, micro-detailed photos of the slabbed coins that the general public is never made aware of.

I have a guitar from 1936, a Martin, and the serial number that the guitar was stated as being does not match the serial number of the guitar.

But the guitar's advertisement, that enticed me to buy it (after playing it, of course) assured me that the guitar is the one I thought I was buying.

There are ways to be assured you're getting what you think you're getting.

Edited by USAuPzlBxBob
Damn autocorrect, as usual, ruining something.

But what is the point of a service and holder that is advertised as preserving provenance, that doesn't even state what the provenance is?

8 hours ago, Conder101 said:

But what is the point of a service and holder that is advertised as preserving provenance, that doesn't even state what the provenance is?

With that medal?  That thing will get carted around in an armored truck, guards with machine guns, a time lock that resets constantly, and two people with half codes, who also have fingerprint IDs for the unlocking mechanism.

NGC CAG Robbins Medal

It has plenty of info on its slab.

image.thumb.png.141f33e843442fb3bca23cd1152e1dbf.png

Duh, can't believe I completely missed the Armstrong Family Collection logo on the label.  Saw the shape but didn't read the fine print underneath.