• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Think this 1939 lincoln cent could be minted on Canadian dime?

10 posts in this topic

It weighs 3.16 grams. Has dates of 1800s on edge lettering and looks like philly coated it w copper Canadian dimes weighed around 2.2 grams. And I believe sterling silver20180704_151421.thumb.jpg.9626946900979bb2913d1cc85e1f8e6e.jpg

20180704_161625.jpg

Well seeings how a 1939 Canadian dime was minted in Ottawa Canada and the 1939 cent was minted in the USA, I don't think so. Also, the dime is about 18mm while the cent is 19mm, which would make the motto a little closer to the edge than it should be. Yours looks normal. 

Nope, such an error is pretty much impossible.  Also, your coin has the weight and appearance of a perfectly normal 1939 Lincoln Cent. 

really bss and mohawk, i just thought a 95 % copper penny would not have the oreo cookie looking copper zinc copper look on the edge, and also believe that foreign currency may have been plated w copper and purposely used by the us government or mint to save a few pennies even if on a silver dime and i want you to know i definitely resepect both of your educated opinions and believe you but the evidence seems to point the other direction by the all out color of the coin the delaminated copper on the surface of the coin with the silvery color underneath coupled with random letters and numbers that seem to fit the consistency of a canadian dime that has been electroplated with copper that would increase the weight and the tons of presure to stike a 1939 penny that would distort the original picture and numbers on a original canadian dime, i guess it is kinda far fetched but what im looking at under a microscope begs the differ i wish i had the money for a metalurgic analysis of the penny which would def. prove me wrong or wright. i dont know maybe im having flashbacks of my LSD using days : ). Thank you for your help and time i apreciate it very much thank you.

So, you are saying that the mint took a 10 cent silver coin, plated it with copper and re-struck it to make it worth 1 cent, and sold it to the Federal Reserve at a 9 cent loss? And they did this to save money? Unless the mint stole the dimes or otherwise somehow obtained them for free, it would be a loss to them even before they figured in the cost of plating and striking them.

I think your flashback theory may have some validity.  :bigsmile:

Why are numismatics so irritable I mean I thanked u all for ur help and am having a conversation why do u feel the need to be so rude I bet the guy that found the first 1944 steel cent got a lot of too. But I still thank u for ur input. I guess i just think outside the box and conventional numismatic facts i am gonna find that unique coin someday. 

20 hours ago, Screeb741 said:

Why are numismatics so irritable I mean I thanked u all for ur help and am having a conversation why do u feel the need to be so rude I bet the guy that found the first 1944 steel cent got a lot of too. But I still thank u for ur input. I guess i just think outside the box and conventional numismatic facts i am gonna find that unique coin someday. 

I'm not being irritable, just stating a fact! You came up with other possibilities to disclaim our advice. I'm just saying if you're that confident with your conclusions, then send it in for grading!.  

21 hours ago, Screeb741 said:

I don't think it's rude to encourage you to follow your own convictions. If in spite of educated advice you still disagree and think it's something special, then why wouldn't you send it in?

There's a reality. It's that people who volunteer their knowledge to help others, generally do not feel as charitable when someone evidently less knowledgeable replies by debating their advice. Happens on all message boards where information is exchanged and questions are answered. The best method is to evaluate the advice. If it's sound, absorb it. If you find it unsound, then ignore it, or at best thank them for their input, and do what you consider best. It is your coin and your money.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, JKK said:

I don't think it's rude to encourage you to follow your own convictions. If in spite of educated advice you still disagree and think it's something special, then why wouldn't you send it in?

There's a reality. It's that people who volunteer their knowledge to help others, generally do not feel as charitable when someone evidently less knowledgeable replies by debating their advice. Happens on all message boards where information is exchanged and questions are answered. The best method is to evaluate the advice. If it's sound, absorb it. If you find it unsound, then ignore it, or at best thank them for their input, and do what you consider best. It is your coin and your money.

Well Said!