• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fatty Walker and a Gold CAC Sticker

22 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

I’m a fan of CAC, but curiously, why would you submit a coin in that value range?

I felt it had a strong chance of getting the gold sticker, since it looks severely undergraded in a MS-63 slab.

...another example of how grading standards may have change over the course of a few decades, that and this new concept of market acceptability.

It's a nice common-date WL half, but most of it's real value has been "used" in paying for a slab, postage, and a silly sticker.

Some of these early graded coins are under graded sometimes by 2 grades. I had a PCGS graded gold sticker coin that crossed to NGC a grade higher then green stickered at CAC. Boy that was a mouthful but bottom line is the coin is still worth the same...... I just blew fifty bucks or so to get it in a new holder ! What is relevant is that now the coin shows better in scratch resistant holder with the proper grade on the label.

3 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

and what exactly does the gold sticker mean

It means that in the opinion of CAC, the coin deserves a minimum of at least one grade higher.

21 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

It means that in the opinion of CAC, the coin deserves a minimum of at least one grade higher.

That's just a slap in the face huh...

Thanks for the info..

Man if I had that Roanoke in that Rattler I could see a REAL Premium but for some reason a 63 for the walker gets what kind of Bump???

16 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

That's just a slap in the face huh...

Thanks for the info..

Man if I had that Roanoke in that Rattler I could see a REAL Premium but for some reason a 63 for the walker gets what kind of Bump???

I don’t think there would be much of a premium for the gold-stickered Walking Liberty half, as even an MS65 doesn’t sell for a lot more than an MS63. That’s why I asked the OP why he submitted a coin in in that value range.

The same could be said about the lack of a large value spread for the Roanoke, as well, however. A gold CAC sticker adds far more “value” in cases where coins of the next grade (or two) higher sell for significantly higher prices.

1 hour ago, MarkFeld said:

I don’t think there would be much of a premium for the gold-stickered Walking Liberty half, as even an MS65 doesn’t sell for a lot more than an MS63. That’s why I asked the OP why he submitted a coin in in that value range.

The same could be said about the lack of a large value spread for the Roanoke, as well, however. A gold CAC sticker adds far more “value” in cases where coins of the next grade (or two) higher sell for significantly higher prices.

I tend to agree with Mark, however some collectors would pay a premium (perhaps small) for the gold CAC since it in itself is scarce and a bit of a novelty.  In my case of the Roanoke a previous seller(s) absorbed the grading fees so I didn't mind paying a small premium over 65 money for it.  

On 5/12/2018 at 6:28 PM, jimbucks said:

Nice walker. Here is my old pcgs holder gold CAC coin.

20180512_152703.jpg

20180512_152614.jpg

Photographed through PVC pipe?

It is generally understood that a gold sticker means the coin is "at least" one full grade higher than the grade on the label. Accordingly, the value of the coin should increase to the new grade (as a new starting point) with actual sales results varying higher from there. There are people paying huge premiums just for the fact that the coin got a gold sticker. 

Additionally, I too have sent JA an MS 63 Walker that I felt was seriously undergraded. Mine came back green beaned but as a Collector submitting there is no fee if the coin fails to get a bean so the Collectors expense is reduced to basically mailing costs. 

I've sent in a common coin that did not make economic sense, purely for educational purposes. As part of a submitted group the cost is about the same as a  mixed drink at my local watering hole, and a better value. 

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:11 PM, mumu said:

Photographed through PVC pipe?

Is this better?

roanoke_obv_2_zpsb41a09eb.jpg

roanoke_rev_zpsca3ab789.jpg

While I agree that it is a nice Walker, I must admit I too am confused as to why you sent it to CAC. A 63 is worth $45, and even a 66 is only $160. You'd have to jump up to a 67 to have a meaningful appreciation.