• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For sale: Medals and tokens of Joseph Merriam

3 posts in this topic

Hey gang, I'm not an avid on these boards, but I thought I'd see if there were folks interested in this stuff over here.
To advance my collection further, and in preparation of a book I am writing on the subject, I'm photographing and beginning to list duplicates from my vast collection of tokens and medals of Civil War diesinker and engraver, Joseph H. Merriam.
In July of last year, I was able to purchase Q. David Bowers' large reference collection of Merriam material for the biggest purchase I've ever made in this hobby. Some of the pieces I had never seen before, and some of the medals I had already located. The majority are in mint state and come from the collections of Fred Reed, John J. Ford, Jr., FCC Boyd, and Wayte Raymond.
Merriam was the foremost medalist in Boston during the war and produced a series of important political, commemorative, and merchant tokens. They are generally characterized by great artistry and elaborate detail, and they were struck in such small quantities that make most every variety scarce to extremely rare.
If you've ever thought of picking up some examples of his work or starting a collection of your own, now is a great opportunity. Lots of Washingtonia and political medals available.
You can check what I have for sale on eBay under username d.c.w. I'm adding a couple of pieces each day as I photograph them. I can do better here, so message me with a reasonable offer and I can save the fees and pass some savings on to you.
Also, if anyone wants a list feel free to message me with your email address and I'll get it right out to you. Attached are some examples of the medals being offered.

Thank you all for looking!

WashEvrev.jpg

Heroobv.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dcarverwells said:

In July of last year, I was able to purchase Q. David Bowers' large reference collection of Merriam material for the biggest purchase I've ever made in this hobby.

The majority are in mint state and come from the collections of Fred Reed, John J. Ford, Jr., FCC Boyd, and Wayte Raymond.

That is impressive.:golfclap: