• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1911 20 FR Rooster MS60

2 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Lorna Ferrell said:

I am new to this. I am trying to find the value of this Blanchard sealed coin. Any information or suggestions wouldbe greatly appreciated. 

My Krause, which is not brand new, has it for $350. Not very many people pay Krause prices. I didn't find any recent sales of that specific issue on Ebay, but I did find some nearby dates that hammered for about $250, which is about melt (.1867 oz x $1335). Since there's nothing special about the 1911 issue of which I'm aware, that's probably a fair guide. I'd guess a dealer would give you $200 for it, then turn around and sell it for melt at a quick $50 profit.

Of course, this is without seeing the coin, so it means almost nothing. Also note that, according to Krause, that date is among a number which have been restruck. I have no idea how to quantify what that means for value except for the obvious truth that it added to the supply and probably isn't included in the given mintage figure, diminishing that number's predictive value. A lot of old gold has been melted down over time, which works the population in the downward direction--no idea how that impacts this issue.