• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CRUD BURST

Who is the Best Buster, Mister?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Best Buster, Mister?

19 posts in this topic

As a nuke electrician in the Navy for six years, one lesson we learned was the technique of performing a crud burst. By slamming the reactor coolant valves shut, the vibration will shake loose the crud built up on the pipes for the primary reactor coolant. Of course it is radioactive and must be disposed of properly. It is just a way to clean house, so to speak.

So the point is: we have some allegorical crud bursting going on here at the boards. 893whatthe.gif But hey, that's a good thing. grin.gif It is sometimes a good thing to shake things up just a little like TDN and Midwestcoin13. So, the question is, who is shaking whom? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Interesting thought is that only in this day of the internet can a 13 yr old youngster go head to head with a man of TDN's stature. Makes for good drama, though...

popcorn.gifthumbsup2.gif

So here's a poll:

I think we need to do a bottom blowdown and get rid of some of the sludge too.

- LTJG, Nuclear Propulsion Officer, 1983-1987

Do we really know that mwc13 is thirteen years old?

Anyway, this crud bursting drives me away from the boards.

The crud is the only thing keeping my joints together. If I shake it loose, I may fall apart. confused.gif

TRUTH

I think we need to do a bottom blowdown and get rid of some of the sludge too.

- LTJG, Nuclear Propulsion Officer, 1983-1987

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Hey EZ_E,

Did you go to Nuke school in Orlando @ NNPTC?

Yes, sir. I graduated from there in 1985 and went on to Balston Spa, NY for prototype training on MARF which actually uses water for control rods. This design wouldn't work on submarines. Imagine capsizing and the whole core would be uncovered! 893whatthe.gif

Then I went on to the Nimitz and got out in '90 and then went to x-ray school.

And you? You a nuke, too?

p.s. I was born in Arkansas and have 50 acres there in Clinton and Gravette. Whereabouts do you live there?

I went to nuke school in 1993-94 and went to Charleston for prototype. Served on the Santa Fe. Brand new boat and took it around from Norfolk to Washington. I was a MM1 when I got out. I am in Pine Bluff. Good ways from Clinton. That land up there is starting to go up quite a bit in price.Letme know if you get ready tosell. I know quite a few people looking for land up there. I own a Heating, Air conditioning, and appliance repair business.

Hey, I trained at MARF too. I was in the first few weeks of classroom training when we had our primary to secondary leak. That delayed our prototype training a good bit, as you can imagine. I guess they would have told you about that when you were there.

Actually, turning MARF upside down wouldn't have uncovered the core, it would have just drained the control tubes completely. That would give the same effect as pulling the control rods completely out. Either way, it's not a good scenario.

I ended up on a submarine myself (an old boomer). There was no prototype in Charleston while I was in, but I was stationed there. Was that prototype a decommisioned sub, perhaps the Rayburn? I heard rumors...

Yes it was. Idaho was closing down so all we could choose from was Ballston Spa, NY or Charleston. Everything is in Connecticut now. Orlando RTC closed in 1993, NAVHOSPORL in 95 and the base in 1998.

Wonder how many other nukes are on this board?

I'll have to give the nod to MW13 over TDN. However, it is only because of his (purported 893scratchchin-thumb.gif) age. Kids have a way of rationalizing everything, totally disregarding right or wrong, as long as they get the last word. 893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gif893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gif893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gif

If all of you young whippersnappers talking about your USN days are just trying to make me feel old, FORGET IT!! IT AIN'T GONNA WORK!!

Chris

Army Security Agency '69-'71

I'll have to give the nod to MW13 over TDN. However, it is only because of his (purported 893scratchchin-thumb.gif) age. Kids have a way of rationalizing everything, totally disregarding right or wrong, as long as they get the last word. 893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gif893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gif893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gif

If all of you young whippersnappers talking about your USN days are just trying to make me feel old, FORGET IT!! IT AIN'T GONNA WORK!!

Chris

Army Security Agency '69-'71

Man does this beat all,three nuclear squids on this measly little forum! 893whatthe.gif

And Chris,your just a leg but at least there is an Army guy on here! 27_laughing.gif

I'd have to say that I rather enjoy this bantering going back and forth between TDN and MC13.Although I think TDN is a great guy,he's just not as humorous as the youngster.

-Hayden

I went to nuke school in 1993-94 and went to Charleston for prototype. Served on the Santa Fe. Brand new boat and took it around from Norfolk to Washington. I was a MM1 when I got out. I am in Pine Bluff. Good ways from Clinton. That land up there is starting to go up quite a bit in price.Letme know if you get ready tosell. I know quite a few people looking for land up there. I own a Heating, Air conditioning, and appliance repair business.

Hey, I trained at MARF too. I was in the first few weeks of classroom training when we had our primary to secondary leak. That delayed our prototype training a good bit, as you can imagine. I guess they would have told you about that when you were there.

Actually, turning MARF upside down wouldn't have uncovered the core, it would have just drained the control tubes completely. That would give the same effect as pulling the control rods completely out. Either way, it's not a good scenario.

I ended up on a submarine myself (an old boomer). There was no prototype in Charleston while I was in, but I was stationed there. Was that prototype a decommisioned sub, perhaps the Rayburn? I heard rumors...

Yes it was. Idaho was closing down so all we could choose from was Ballston Spa, NY or Charleston. Everything is in Connecticut now. Orlando RTC closed in 1993, NAVHOSPORL in 95 and the base in 1998.

Wonder how many other nukes are on this board?

That shows you how out of touch I am. I didn't even know of a prototype in Charleston, SC.

So is the Orlando Naval base totally closed down now? When I was there in 1985, an ex student with a grudge held an instructor at gun point. Had SWAT there and everything.

So, I was north of Chicago for the winter of '84, in Orlando for the summer of '85 and in upstate NY the following winter. Seems that the order should have been reversed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I got onboard the USS Nimitz in August of '86 and eventually did an around the world cruise from Norfolk ,VA to Bremerton, WA. Kind of like above.

What year was the leak at MARF? I can't remember if it was before or after my time. Don't you think that the D1G dome was cool-looking?

That shows you how out of touch I am. I didn't even know of a prototype in Charleston, SC.

So is the Orlando Naval base totally closed down now? When I was there in 1985, an ex student with a grudge held an instructor at gun point. Had SWAT there and everything.

So, I was north of Chicago for the winter of '84, in Orlando for the summer of '85 and in upstate NY the following winter. Seems that the order should have been reversed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I got onboard the USS Nimitz in August of '86 and eventually did an around the world cruise from Norfolk ,VA to Bremerton, WA. Kind of like above.

What year was the leak at MARF? I can't remember if it was before or after my time. Don't you think that the D1G dome was cool-looking?

Let's see, I went to OCS in RI the summer of '83, then I got to Orlando around Thanksgiving. Then I spent the summer of '84 until around January of '85 in NY. So the leak would have been in the summer of '84. I'm surprised they didn't make it abig deal in the training. I remeber Adm. McKey came by for a tour while I was there. Then in January of '85 I got to move to a warmer climate south from NY to New London (Groton) for sub-school. Well, I started out on a good north-south schedule, but it got screwed up in the normal Navy way.

I got to do the Under the Atlantic tour a couple of times. We actually made a three day port call in Portugal on my first cruse. The COB had 23 patrols and said it was his first port call. Us boomer guys don't get out much.

I'm surprised they didn't send you to D1G, being a skimmer and all.

Yes Orlando is completely shut down. I did RTC, NFAS, and NNPTC all at Orlando. First 1 1/2 years of my enlistment were in Orlando. I took my first MM2 test at Orlando and had never been to sea. Of course I didn't advance but there were a few guys that did. We had a character in NFAS named Fireman Love. We took a physics test and he wrote on the top of his test "Love's Law: They only ask you the questions you don't know the answer to" He was dropped and went to Quartermaster school and scored the highest grade in the school. We had several other scandals but that was the first that came to mind.

Hey isn't that ageism I think my civil rights have been violated.If you need me I will be calling Jessie Jackson and his rainbow coalition 893naughty-thumb.gif

Also acclaim.gif thanks for the nod I feel my life was really meant for this to happen 27_laughing.gif

As far as my age In the next few months I have feeling I will have proof that I am at least under 18.

Man does this beat all,three nuclear squids on this measly little forum! 893whatthe.gif

And Chris,your just a leg but at least there is an Army guy on here! 27_laughing.gif

Thank you all of you for serving for this country893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I'd have to say that I rather enjoy this bantering going back and forth between TDN and MC13.Although I think TDN is a great guy,he's just not as humorous as the youngster.

-Hayden

acclaim.gif I think I have finally found the reason the mods let me stay.I humor you people angel.gifpopcorn.gif

I think that the advantage of surface ships is all of the port-o-call. My Med cruise was a port every couple of weeks. The West-Pacific cruise, however, had lots more sea time. We did 72 days staight doing circles in the Indian Ocean in 1988 which we received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for. With it, I just joined the VFW for life a couple of weeks ago. thumbsup2.gif

Advantage of being an electrian on subs is that you have "the whole electric plant in your hands"! That was definitely fun! I loved being an electric plant operator. Unfortunately, I was encouraged to get qualified in the two more advanced watchstations and never spent alot of time on it as an operator. frown.gif

I think I have finally found the reason the mods let me stay.I humor you people angel.gifpopcorn.gif

Wait until your parents see the baby-sitting bill from all of us. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

yay.gifC yay.gifH yay.gifR yay.gifI yay.gifS yay.gif