• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1857 Flying Eagle: Real or Counterfeit?

13 posts in this topic

I am a newbie here...And I am no expert, only a casual collector... This coin in not in hand- not slabbed...Only have these pictures to go by. Negotiating price- it's NOT cheap- but seller guarantees authenticity and will accept returns within 30 days. Your thoughts? And thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 1.03.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 5.13.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 5.13.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 5.13.54 PM.png

I am unfamiliar with Flying Eagle Cents, but a few things I would consider in making your decision: Is the seller a dealer or a private individual?  If the seller is a respected dealer, then I would take the risk as they are guaranteeing you a 30 day return policy.  If the seller is a private individual, how well do you know this individual and do you trust them to honor their return policy?  I hope that this is of at least some help.

I don't see a sign that it's fake but I'm in question on the color though. I'm far from an expert, so I would wait for others to chime in. 

5 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

I'm in question on the color though. 

I had that same thought. Could just be the pics, though. Maybe Bill Jones or one of the other copper experts will chime in.

My first thought is it looks too good to be true, especially because it's not slabbed already.  At the very least, I think it may have been altered to look better, so getting it graded would probably result in a details holder.  It's a beautiful coin, and I can certainly see why you're attracted to it, and it's your money.

Usually, the problem with a coin like this is a cleaning.  It looks MS, however, a coin like this will normally be certified and slabbed. Often when you see it for sale uncertified it was given a details grade and then cracked out and attempted to be sold raw.  If this is from a reputable dealer then maybe take a shot at it but still, you need to send it in to get certified and graded. If from a private person, just walk away.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:15 PM, InFormOfHuman said:

I am a newbie here...And I am no expert, only a casual collector... This coin in not in hand- not slabbed...Only have these pictures to go by. Negotiating price- it's NOT cheap- but seller guarantees authenticity and will accept returns within 30 days. Your thoughts? And thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 1.03.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 5.13.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 5.13.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 5.13.54 PM.png

BECAREFUL!!! I was just taken on a 57 and 58...I paid a very respectable price for those coins and after grading them they came back as "Whizzed". The coins I purchased where just as nice if not nicer so Please, please  be careful and do your homework. like stated in the above. Probably cracked open after the grade of "details" and the seller is trying to recoup $$

24 minutes ago, Mark T said:

Just curious , did you buy those Wizzed coins from Great Southern coin ?

I purchase mine from different sellers. I posted the sellers on the forum under another post. (Bummed Collector) 

Great Southern Coin is a HUGE dealer that, in my opinion, sell a lot of coins that have been "messed with".  I bought a couple from them that looked great on the monitor, but when I got them, it was pretty obvious they had dipped them and juiced the photos.  They blocked me from bidding on their ebay auctions.  :-)

On 5/9/2018 at 3:01 PM, dleonard-3 said:

Great Southern Coin is a HUGE dealer that, in my opinion, sell a lot of coins that have been "messed with".  I bought a couple from them that looked great on the monitor, but when I got them, it was pretty obvious they had dipped them and juiced the photos.  They blocked me from bidding on their ebay auctions.  :-)

It doesn't surprise me b/c a friend of mine stated similar actions by them. Makes you wonder how they have such a high star rating but sometimes deceive buyers and get away with it. 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, FairTradeAct_1935 said:

It doesn't surprise me b/c a friend of mine stated similar actions by them. Makes you wonder how they have such a high star rating but sometimes deceive buyers and get away with it. 

whizzed big time

The color and the surfaces do not look right on this piece. The surfaces look shiny as if they whizzed or polished. I would pass.

If you are a newbie, why take the chance of buying raw coins on the Internet? If the price, "is not cheap," what is the upside?

When I was dealer, I only sold raw coins that didn't have enough value to justify the slabbing fee. The others were certified.