• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare Platinum William Tell Commemorative

6 posts in this topic

They only minted 10,000. But the last time I checked there was less than 15 known in PF 70 matte which makes this exceedingly rare.  I'm brand new here (I just registered today), and I'm trying to find the value of my coin.  I would appreciate your input and/or suggestions on its value (or where I can find out its value).

Thank you all,

Charles

PF70 William Tell Obv.jpg

PF70 William Tell Rev.jpg

Hi Chris,

I checked all over and couldn't find any. There were two or three dealers advertising them, but none of them had what they were advertising (they were "out of stock").  I called one of them that had had theirs listed for $2995 and had sold it. They had the third one ever graded/certified (NGC)... I have number two!  I'm waiting for them to give me a call back.  I hit a dead end everywhere else.  Thanks for your input.

Charles

Ladies and Gents  Bowie 595x428 px.jpg

Combat Bowie 600x446.jpg

The coin isn't rare.  The count of 15 as a "70" is low because most owners of this coin haven't bothered to submit it for grading. 

I once owned two of the 1000F gold commemoratives (1987 Glarus and 1988 Argau).  There is essentially no collector market for them.  The mintage is low (less than 500 each) and both sell for much less than the prices cited in this thread.

13 hours ago, World Colonial said:

There is essentially no collector market for them.  The mintage is low (less than 500 each) and both sell for much less than the prices cited in this thread.

That seems to be the case for most NCLT. Super low mintages, but pretty much no secondary market. 

7 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

That seems to be the case for most NCLT. Super low mintages, but pretty much no secondary market. 

It is, outside of a handful of series but even then, the financial potential isn't what the advocates believe, based upon the few posts I have read here or elsewhere.

In the example I gave, I bought it because I assumed the coins were legal tender and at worst could be exchanged at FV for 1000 CHF, now slightly over $1000 USD but back in 2005 when I bought both maybe $800 (can't remember exactly).  Well, turns out the coins were only legal tender during the festival for which they were struck, subsequently being demonetized similar to currency notes withdrawn from circulation.