• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 D Small date copper penny
1 1

62 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2021 at 2:50 PM, l.cutler said:

That is a large, really easy to tell them apart.  I always look at the shape of the 2 and the distance of the 2 from the rim first.

Correct.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:43 PM, JRD3289 said:

Can someone tell me if I have a small or large date? Been looking at different ones against this for awhile now,,IMG_20211024_153252219.thumb.jpg.f5962dc0dbac68a19f89f5c9041f54a6.jpgIMG_20211024_153214540.thumb.jpg.1ea94ec0a7e306c8bd02e08ccaeec81f.jpg

I hope you realize that you would have a MUCH more likely find by taking a random MegaMillions or Powerball ticket and posting it here as a “winner”. Your chances of hitting one of the huge lotteries TWICE is more likely than finding a copper 1982-D small date cent.

Definite 1982-D Large Date. I think that there are only two copper 1982-D Small Date Cents known to exist 39 years after they were struck.  By contrast, there are 32 reasonably complete and well-preserved adult skeletons of Tyrannosaurus Rex known 66 million years after they died out.  If you go by a sheer numbers game, you have a better chance of finding a 33rd reasonably complete and well-preserved Tyrannosaurus Rex than another 1982-D Copper Small Date Cent.

Edited by Mohawk

I believe two things:

1-  There are many more than two Small Date 1982-D copper cents, and,

2-  Only Ratzie33, a former linotype operator, is presently licensed and authorized to access the means of production.

The problem is a simple one: supply and demand.  He is content to limit production of his one-or-two-of-a-kind "newly-discovered" creations.

BTW, I had always thought these anomalies were more often found in U.S. Mint Uncirculated Proof sets, but if only two have surfaced after all these years and attendant publicity, I will defer to the experts.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:51 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I believe two things:

1-  There are many more than two Small Date 1982-D copper cents,

I do not believe this at all. I am still gobsmacked there are ANY. With the way this “hunt” draws clueless YouTube video watchers by the thousands, I’m willing to bet every 1982-D cent that exists has been checked multiple times.

On 10/13/2021 at 5:47 AM, Greenstang said:

It looks like it ha Split Plate Doubling around the edge which would make it a zinc cent.

I seen that to. I knew just soon as I seen it that it was a zinc. 

On 12/7/2021 at 11:41 PM, GBrad said:

Holler here means yellin from my neck of the woods.  Livin in a valley is more like, "I live in the haller".  Hallow means it ain't got no middle from where I'm from but me n' my friend @Hoghead515 ain't far apart. Just FYI QA, taters are potatoes, maters are tomatoes, Uins means "You all" (I still can't wrap my head around the Northern slang "ALL'S I'm saying is"......), a radiator is spoken just like it is spelled- radiator! It should be pronounced as 'ray-dee-ate-er'.... not a raaadiator as my northern friends call itxD. Also, one last thing....boiled peanuts seriously need to make their way up north!  We call boiled peanuts "Southern Caviar".  If you haven't ever eaten a boiled peanut..... well..... you are missing out on one of life's sweet delicacies! Just sayin......

You nailed it my friend.  We may throw in a "weeeee doggy" or a " Gollll- Leee," when we get excited about something. That is a real thing here. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 12/8/2021 at 8:52 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Where does, "hallowed be thy name," fit in?

Matthew 6:9 :)

Edit: You caught my typo @Quintus Arrius in my last post, good eye and thanks. (thumbsu I edited that post. 

Edited by GBrad

On 12/8/2021 at 6:18 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Yinz guys got a nice accent. Sounds like a cat running through some jagger bushes.

Go Stillers.  

See ya at the Jyan Iggle..

On 12/8/2021 at 11:56 AM, Oldhoopster said:

I will give your feedback all the consideration it deserves

🐓:  I believe the gentleman means: none at all, zilch, bupkis.

Q.A.:  I am beginning to feel you're right.  (worship)

On 12/8/2021 at 3:53 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓:  I believe the gentleman means: none at all, zilch, bupkis.

Q.A.:  I am beginning to feel you're right.  (worship)

I thought you were busy checking all those unchecked 1982-D cents. :devil:

On 12/8/2021 at 4:57 PM, VKurtB said:

I thought you were busy checking all those unchecked 1982-D cents. :devil:

You'd sooner see me on that CAC board @Cat Bath wrote about recently.  🐓  

@Hoghead515

I once met a young man from Harrodsburg, "Kin-TUCK," and I got nowhere trying to get him to pronounce I, as "eye" and not "aah." I like regional dialects. With the continuing homogenization of the United States, we're losing a part of what makes this country unique.

On 12/8/2021 at 6:47 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Its good to see youins fellers probably can understand me if you meet me. The old lady worked under a dr from California. We went out to eat with him and i tried to talk to him and he wouldnt say a word back to me all night. I thought he was to good or something. He told the old lady the next day he couldnt understand a word I was saying. Said I was like that Boomhower off that King Of the Hill cartoon. 

I have cousins and an aunt from Mississippi.  Earlier this year, my paternal grandmother died and most of my paternal family was there.  Myself, my fiancée and my sister and the Mississippi aunt and cousins had a hell of a time understanding each other!!! They didn't speak Baja Upper Canadian and we didn't speak Mississippi! But talking slowly and clearly, we did alright.  My accent is the worst because I also have some California Valley in there from my time in Fresno, and I definitely sounded funny to them!  There's also the dialect issues.....our colloquialisms and slang were completely different and I said "eh" a couple of times, which gave the Mississippi camp some laughs.  Given the situation, I was glad my little Canada-Cali dialect could provide some giggles.  My downstairs neighbor finds my accent quite amusing at times, too.  He says it's hearing "eh" said in a mixed Cali Valley/Baja Upper Canadian accent that gets him.  I can't blame him one bit lol.  

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/8/2021 at 10:42 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Couldve been. Spent some time up there years ago. 

No, absolutely not. No resemblance to you. He'd be about as old as I am now, 70, or older. I have never been to Harrodsburg but recall a reference he made to President Lincoln's log cabin. Besides, that was way back in 1972.

On 12/8/2021 at 10:59 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

No, absolutely not. No resemblance to you. He'd be about as old as I am now, 70, or older. I have never been to Harrodsburg but recall a reference he made to President Lincoln's log cabin. Besides, that was way back in 1972.

I was up there on 2000 and 2001. 4 trips.