• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So called dollars

6 posts in this topic

I was tracking this medal for its beauty but would like to know more about the numerous varieties many of which were minted 1892-1893. Also note the proof grade of Pf 65 DPL. How can it be graded proof with deep prooflike marker ? Images courtesy Heritage. Medal was graded years ago and I wonder if Pf 65 DPL is what NGC intended.

1892 medal aluminum Pf 65 DPL obv.jpg

1892 medal aluminum Pf 65 DPL rev.jpg

Yes I agree NGC meant MS not proof. I did some research after my thoughts and found Coin Explorer an excellent tool for this kind of material.

I agree they either meant to say PF65 or MS65 DPL. With regards to varieties, they are all cataloged in "Columbania - The Medallic History of Christopher Columbus and the Columbian Exposition of 1893" by Nathan Eglit. The versions of the medal that fell between 33 mm and 45 mm in diameter are also listed in Hibler & Kapen So Called Dollars Volume 2. You can find either from time to time on Ebay. There is an on line version of H&K at https://www.so-calleddollars.com/index.html  .  When the variety is in both books it will be listed by it's HK-### reference. If only in Columbania it will be listed as Eglit-###. Go to Heritage auctions. Click your search through to U.S. Coins and then to Tokens & Medals. Type in Eglit Liberty and hit enter. You will see both HK and Eglit in in the search results.

I went to the Verify NGC Authenticity tab under the Resource tab on the NGC home page and entered the NGC certification number and 65 grade. It is listed on their data base as an MS 65 DPL. The PF on the label is a typo. Not unheard of. I sent a NGC graded SC$1 from the Century of Progress World's Fair to be reholdered because of a scratch in the holder. It came back labeled with an entirely different, and incorrect,  exposition.