• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was my 2000 MD State Quarter on the wrong planchet?

3 posts in this topic

I have a Maryland State Quarter that has no copper band around the edge. I put the coin on my postage scale and compared it to a regular Maryland State Quarter. The silver edge coin weighs 5.69 grams while the regular copper band version weighs 5.58. Canadian planchet maybe?

2000 MD (1).jpg

2000 MD (2).jpg

This is a common problem relating to the training program for US Mint planchets. You see, all the planchets have to be trained to go to the correct coinage presses. (And you thought they were just dumped into bins -- No! The have to be trained to roll to a press to eventually become coins.) Training begins when they are little globs of metal just barely melted and continues throughout rolling and punching. The planchets get intensive training on how to get to their presses so they can become grown-up coins. Occasionally, a planchet forgets what it has learned, or was asleep in class, and it takes the wrong path. There are also some rogue planchets that deliberately don't follow instructions and end up in a bad place -- maybe soaking in drugs or out on the street with no designs. (Sad but true ---) So proper training will prevent this from happening to other planchets.

Now, all this is highly secret and comes straight from Steve Bannon and Donald Trump, who know all the truth and never tell a lie, so do not tweet this to anyone -- ever! And....do not, ever, ask about counting people on the National Mall.