• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893 S Morgan Silver Dollar

8 posts in this topic

The "1" in the date and the denticle appear to line up properly. There are other diagnostics for the 1893-S dollar that are not visible in this photo (The die scratch on the "T" in "LIBERTY"). Still I am going to assume that it is genuine.

The sharpness grade is VG, but the coin has been lightly cleaned, and there is a significant rim bump at 6 o'clock on the reverse that shows up slightly on the obverse. As such my net grade would be Good. It is a decent filler for a circulated Morgan Dollar set, which often lacks this key date.

11 hours ago, numisport said:

Because coin is rare date a net grade could be considered. Common dates would be no grade due to rim damage ?

This coin would not get a grade from neither NGC nor PCGS. The rim bump would be enough to preclude a grade, and cleaning would re-enforce it. My "Good" grade was a net grade for pricing purposes. A common coin should be subject the same grading standards as a rare one. The big difference is that most people would not spend the grading money on a common piece.

I agree with VG details. 

That rim bump is just too severe. 

I really hate the whole idea that a rim bump on this date would be acceptable just because it is a key (the TPGs are often more forgiving of problems on key dates). That aspect of market grading is unacceptable to me: a rim bump is a rim bump. Call the spade what it is, and then I'll decide if I want to buy it or not. If I bought this as a problem free VG and then saw that giant bump, I would be quite upset! 

I'd call it VG details because of the rim bump and it does appear that it has been cleaned sometime in the past and has re-toned somewhat.  Still, it's a good filler for a tough spot in a Morgan set.