• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1864 Indian Head. L? Real error?

6 posts in this topic

Hi I’m a new member and somewhat new on coin collecting and I am looking for opinions on my 1864 Indian Head Cent. My questions are does it look like a real error coin? Also is it the “L” version. And I know that a 1864 L is a somewhat valuable coin so if this was a “L” and it was a error would it be more valuable? 

Thank you! Pat

9B2F9F87-7F34-41E4-8BFE-BDD38ABA51D0.jpeg

3BCC1455-76FF-4A92-9584-F1A7CEF70204.jpeg

BDA56AF9-4701-474F-9B86-27DE3D2553F4.jpeg

This is the wrong forum for your questions. Please repost in US coins.  Sorry I cannot help you with the answers as I am unfamiliar with that series.

The “L” is on the ribbon and yours appears to be worn off. The bust also looks rounded, whereas the L variety has a pointed bust.

If you plan on collecting these it would be worthwhile to invest in a redbook and also an Indian head reference.  I found this info in one of my redbooks since I don’t collect this type of coin.

Enjoy...

Not the L variety. It could possibly be a Straight Clip Mint Error, but i can't tell form those pictures. The 8 has been tooled or damaged.

The coin is damaged and low grade, so if it is an error, it's not going to be worth a pretty penny.